• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you giving up on the Supersonic?

Are you giving up on the Supersonic?

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 83.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think Spint can wait passed June to release the SS! We all know...

I recently hit up my local Sprint store (applying to work there, I've always kind of wanted to anyways, figured why not) and I know the 3 or 4 people that work there fairly well. I mentioned this phone and the manager (name will not be given =P) was kind of surprised I'd heard about it. She said something about it being 'announced' in late June this year, which means we really can't hope for too much.

The main real estate I'm interested in on this phone is for one, the projected screen size. At 4.3", I'd assume this is as big as a cell phone screen CAN get while still being able to be tossed into a pocket. Something else is the processor. With something like that rocking in it, I can only imagine good things for ROM space and amounts of RAM. As for it being made by HTC, I'm not sure. The whole senseUI thing, I could deal without. I've made my Moment into exactly what I need it to be via third party software (on and off market), so I really don't consider the add-ons that come with the phone to be a major choice. I choose based on hardware now, as far as Android phones go. And this thing, well it looks to be some pretty damned good hardware.

-edit-

...It would erase all doubts if we could see the full specs and actual release date for the Supersonic, but I keep thinking that Sprint must want this phone as much as we do. They need it to show off their rapidly growing WiMAX 4G network and with partners like Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Intel and Google, it gives me confidence that Sprint has a real good chance of staying ahead of the competition if they can bring this phone out soon...

That is what I'm assuming as well, they HAVE been boasting about it, yet they have not one single device *aside from a hotspot thing* that can use this. If they're spending money advertising it, I can only assume they have plans for something like this; I.E. this phone's name Supersonic, possibly suggesting faster download speeds coupled with a(the) faster(est) phone. Logic would break it into this.

As far as coupling with Comcast, Time Warner, and Bright House, I don't really see much coming from that. On the other hand though, with Intel and Google, I can see that happening. All of a sudden Sprint's got 4g speeds and coverage with the ONLY device capable of using it; who's going to be paying attention to them now? Just about everyone. If this DOES happen, I can see AT&T start to turn and throw the knives at Sprint and begin to shy from Verizon, in theory this is.

Upvote 0
more than likely the manager you spoke to knows less than you do, or heard a rumor from her boyfriend's aunt's son's girlfriend's dad who knows a guy at headquarters who is a custodian and while cleaning the shitter overheard a guy talking about the Supersonic or possibly the Supersonics, he still isn't sure.

The manager of my local Sprint store told me before I purchased a Moment and Hero that she received an email from Headquarters that said the Moment was guaranteed to get the 2.0 update on 12/15/09 and the Hero was still not confirmed to receive the update.

Upvote 0
foodman, thanks for stopping by and posting. I hope you voted too :)

Your contact was saying late June for this phone to be released. That's what a lot of the reports I'm reading are saying and that still fits within the first half 2010 time frame. Hopefully we'll be surprised and it will come sooner than expected. If it really is going to be that late, I highly doubt there will be an announcement at CTIA, but like you pointed out, they need to release this thing ASAP.

The specs that I have been able to find for the HTC Supersonic are amazing:

Type: CDMA dual band (1900/800 MHz)
Data: 1xEV-DO rev.A
Screen: 4.3" OLED (Some reports are saying AMOLED and others color transflective TFT)
Resolution: 480 x 800
Camera: 5MP (Some reports are saying 8MP)
Flash: Dual LED; Auto focus, Digital zoom
Video: MPG4
FM Radio: Yes
Memory Slot: microSD/microSDHC
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 1GHz
Memory: 1024 MB ROM
Ram: 512 MB
WiFi: Yes
WiMAX: Yes
Bluetooth: Stereo Bluetooth

This should be good enough to keep this a high end phone for quite awhile. I know I can wait until June, but some of the others are suffering with old phones and are saying they can't wait that long.

Edit:

BTW, I don't know if you're aware of it, but Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Intel and Google have invested with Sprint on WiMAX for a combined $3.2 billion.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
more than likely the manager you spoke to knows less than you do, or heard a rumor from her boyfriend's aunt's son's girlfriend's dad who knows a guy at headquarters who is a custodian and while cleaning the shitter overheard a guy talking about the Supersonic or possibly the Supersonics, he still isn't sure.

Thanks acp, that's pretty funny stuff :D

Upvote 0
My contract with Alltel is up tommorow so I was forced to get a Hero today. If I add a line later can I get the supersonic for the new 2 year contract price?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, you have 30 days in which you can return the phone. Hopefully, we'll know more about the Supersonic by then.

Reactions: capwulf
Upvote 0
I thought OLED = AMOLED

now I'm not sure
AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) is an emerging display technology for use in mobile devices such as mobile phones.

An OLED display in which each pixel has its own transistor on/off switch (see TFT and Active Matrix) rather than being activated by its address

OLED is what I think the Supersonic will have and not the AMOLED that the Nexus One has. Guess you can't have everything, but I think the difference is the size of the screen.

Reactions: pkpmoa1536
Upvote 0
@acp

Speaking of funny... I noticed you replied to a thread where a guy got poop under the glass of his Hero, but it was only visible with black ultraviolet light and a magnifying glass. What do you think happened to that guy? He had the best sense of humor and wrote the funniest post I've ever read here. I even printed it out so my friends could read it and everyone got a kick out of it. I wish he'd come back...

Upvote 0
I really don't think it's early enough to call it quits on the SuperSonic.... it's only had a few 'leak' photos out so far, which means that someone wants us to see it. That and it always helps generate hype for it.

I'm with you foodman, but I have to admit that it's painful waiting when there's so little to go on. Almost 27% of the people voting are saying they're not waiting any longer and it's hard to blame them. On the other side of the coin, at least one or two of the yes votes are from the UK where they don't have much of a chance of getting the Supersonic anyway. Some of the others are probably from the Verizon side or they just don't like Sprint.

Only 26 votes have been registered, but there has been over a 1000 views so far.

This whole Supersonic forum has been pretty dead lately and that's why I've been trying to reinvigorate some interest. Personally, I don't see anything better on the horizon, so I'm going to wait it out. I refuse to think this whole thing is a hoax, but it sure would make the waiting easier if there was more information. Hopefully we'll learn more next Wednesday. If not, it's going to get even harder to wait.

Upvote 0
I would really hope that Sprint does announce something. They need to put heavy competition on the other carriers to try to sway some of the lost customers back. Verizon is going to be there either announcing the incredible, nexus one, or maybe both. Sprint needs to at least acknowledge the fact that the supersonic exists, because it hasn't been through the FCC. Making it hard to believe that it will be out in the next couple of months. I hope the CTIA will bring enough information for us fanatics to dwell on until it launches.

Upvote 0
Yea, the more information, the higher my hopes get. Right now, it's just a cool concept with some photo's tossed out there of (probably) a plastic shell of what the thing might look like. Hardware specifications suggest good things, but those are always debatable.

If only, if only, people weren't greedy. All we want to know is if this phone exists, and if it's going to get consideration for release this year, why do companies always do this crap?

Upvote 0
A leftover from MWC? ;)

mwc14.png

Upvote 0
If I was part of HTC marketing I wouldn't be releasing this in Europe for a bit. Any word that this phone is coming out in Europe in Q2/Q3 will hit N1 and Desire sales. People will just wait! Alternatively you release it at the end of the year earliest and you get phone hungry people like me who will buy a N1/Desire now and then a Supersonic later. This doesn't apply to sprint customers. HTC have nothing to lose by getting this out as soon as possible. I really hope I'm wrong and we all get this phone soon. I'm aching for this phone. Though I can probably only wait till the summer at the most.

Upvote 0
Don't "give up", we all know the phone exists and will be released this year. We've seen video of it "in the wild" and know it's out there, being tested. We know it's going to Sprint and that Sprint is set to release it's first 4G phones by the summer, what better phone to flagship the 4G launch than the Supersonic?

My guess is that we'll see the phone by July at the latest. Which would work perfect for me to jump ship from AT&T and my iPhone 3G since my contract ends in July. I'd love to see the phone earlier than that, but who knows. Hopefully they announce more details later this month.

I can't say much, but can say that the specs posted in this thread are MOSTLY correct.

Upvote 0
Don't "give up", we all know the phone exists and will be released this year. We've seen video of it "in the wild" and know it's out there, being tested. We know it's going to Sprint and that Sprint is set to release it's first 4G phones by the summer, what better phone to flagship the 4G launch than the Supersonic?

My guess is that we'll see the phone by July at the latest. Which would work perfect for me to jump ship from AT&T and my iPhone 3G since my contract ends in July. I'd love to see the phone earlier than that, but who knows. Hopefully they announce more details later this month.

I can't say much, but can say that the specs posted in this thread are MOSTLY correct.

Thanks for posting, Ouhei and welcome to the Supersonic forum. I agree with everything you said, but quite a few have lost interest due to the lack of information.

When you say "I can't say much, but can say that the specs posted in this thread are MOSTLY correct", does that mean you have inside information, but you're not allowed to talk about it? I'm just curious about where you're coming from.

Thanks again,

Bill

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting, Ouhei and welcome to the Supersonic forum. I agree with everything you said, but quite a few have lost interest due to the lack of information.

When you say "I can't say much, but can say that the specs posted in this thread are MOSTLY correct", does that mean you have inside information, but you're not allowed to talk about it? I'm just curious about where you're coming from.

Thanks again,

Bill
Thanks for the welcome, and that is what I mean. Reading all of the rumor posts on Engadget, Gizmodo and places like here is killing me because I can't say anything.

Before anyone asks, I have no information on release dates, I don't work for Sprint or HTC but just happen to have come across knowledge on the phone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones