Are you more carefull installing apps when rooted ?

Last Updated:

1. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This article discuss the dangers of rooting and how you should be more carefull on a rooted device.
    Not Everyone Should Root

What do folks think? Are you more careful about the permissions you allow an app to have or should you simply have been careful in the first place. I personally hate how many apps in the market want "full internet", "Access to contacts" etc. If I root I think I will get even more paranoid :)

Advertisement
  2. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

It's no different that installing programs on your Windows-based computer. There's a bit of responsibility that comes with installing anything, and being rooted makes it more imperative that you know exactly what that app you're installing is doing with the permissions it's asking for.

Simple rule... always read the messages you get when installing. And if you don't understand them, either do the research to learn, or don't install. Or take the responsibility for what happens.

3. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The problem is just about every app asks for access to Internet which means they can read stuff on my phone and send it out. Without reading the code you can't really know what the app intends to do with the permission you give. Checking what permissions they give is important but it would be nice to be able to monitor what the app is "really" doing once it's installed. I have my firewall set to let me know when an app is sending out data on my PC. If I just asked the app to do something that requires this access I allow, if it does it having taken no action that requries it then I say no and more than likely uninstall the app. Does this type of protection exist for Android ?

I think when rooted you are at least notified whenever an app tries to aquire root permission does it not?

4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

I am as careful as I always was, which honestly isn't very careful.

I DO however only install well known app's and I check the reviews. I don't have a single app with less than 50,000 downloads, most have over 250,000. I don't go app crazy and get every stupid noise maker or try out every game I see.

Virus's on Android is extremely rare, people just don't waste their time writting virus's for it. So I am not worried on that front.

As Android becomes more and more popular I might start being more careful. But for now, I am not all that worried. Especially since I don't do banking or online ordering on my phone. That stuff is reserved for my PC where I know I am fully protected from hacking.

When you first run an app that needs root access you get a message saying that it wants to access it and you have to hit okay. You can check to "always allow" or leave it blank and it will only get root access for that one time you use it.