Are you returning your Thrive?General

1. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the sleep mode problem has not yet been solved.

Are you returning your Thrive or are you trusting that the fix will be found.

Other than the sleep are you satisfied.

I've been wanting to buy one but now see that Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet should be out by August and it too has a full sized USB.

As far as computers go I have had one Toshiba and 5 ThinkPads and I'm using one now.

Any advice?

Shofar

Advertisement
    :
  2. humeston

humeston New Member

No, I am not returning the Thrive. I just finished selling my Acer A500 on Ebay in order to purchase the Thrive. I have the sleep issue too, but it is a small issue compared to problems other tablets have. I am thrilled with the Thrive!
  3. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I've had my Thrive about a week. I allow it to go to sleep at times and I put it to sleep at times. Over the course of the last week I have had the sleep issue one time. I rebooted it and it took all of a minute to get back up and running. Toshiba claims they are working on the issue and I trust that they will find a solution. There are people that claim to have band-aided the issue with software, which leads me to believe that the issue can be solved with a firmware upgrade. I've used some other tablets including an iPad and this thing rocks. I'll hang on to mine and wait on Toshiba.

BigRedGonzo
  4. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

I bought another Thrive and it is still in the box ATM. I used the Staples coupon for $100 off, so they changed my $50 to the $100. $402 total cost, which is $212 less than the 32gb I bought from Best Buy that I returned, due to the sleep bug. Zowie.

That difference is almost enough to cover a 128gb sdxc card.....
  5. bdrhode

bdrhode Member

No chance I'm returning this tablet. My only question right now is whether or not to get one for my wife, also. So far I have not once had this sleep issue that I've been reading about. This device has largely replaced my laptop at home and I expect that to continue to be the case as I adapt it to more and more functions. My only complaint is the relative scarcity of apps at this time, but I fully expect that to change pretty quickly. IMO, this blows the Ipad out of the water.
  6. techrider62

techrider62 Well-Known Member

I returned mine last week and re-bought the xoom.
  7. ltcandjrc

ltcandjrc Member

What was your reason for returning the Xoom in the fiirst place and what made you choose that again over other tablets?
  8. rushmore

Other than the cheesy chrome around the camera lens and the sleep bug, the Thrive its good stuff.
  9. techrider62

The sleep issue was getting worst and worst.
  10. ltcandjrc

ltcandjrc Member

The first day I ran my Thrive I went through the set up and even set up a password in order to get in. I wrote down the password and wen to install an update. Of course the tablet restarted but when I went to sign in, it would not allow me! Finally someone was kind enough to suggest doing a hard reset. I had to re-enter everything (which wasn't too bad since it was brand new). If I had known that my apps will not copy to my SDHC, nor am I able to use my Droid X to tether to the Thrive. I've tried different apps, followed directions on forums...emailed easytether only to get a reply of no...sorry, we can't do that yet. (The phone IS paired to the tablet but that's as far as I can get.) Other than that....I love all the different connections built in. I don't care if it's heavier/bulkier. It looks and feels great...I LOVE the case. I think a Toshiba Tech. should come with the purchase of a Thrive. I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to computers, but unless I get things working the way it should and making it so that apps can be stored to my SDHC card. I can't wait much longer until I am able to return it. I know this is the chance you take when you buy the first edition, but come on....Oh and sorry for the rant...I've spent MANY hours working on the damn thing...hubby ran out of socks and underwear. LOL....
  11. techrider62

Also the width of the bezel annoyed me because i have small hand and playing game with on screen control bother my thumbs.
  12. ltcandjrc

ltcandjrc Member

oh and I'm working on my laptop and the Thrive just started up.....Its currently sitting on a table so I didn't ouch a thing......I don't understand how that can happen if I shut it down...
  13. humeston

humeston New Member

* Reality? All of these Android Tablets are new. First generation, maybe even rushed out to market too fast. There isn't a single one that does not have some issues. Those of us who dove into the non-Apple tablet ocean are early adopters. Adventurers even. We have to expect these little troublesome growing pains.

But when I am sitting at a meeting at work with others who have Ipads, I just love going to a flash website that they can't. Then when it comes to sharing files, I hand them a USB drive with my excel files and they can't do anything with it! That my friends, is priceless.

Be patient. Toshiba will fix these issues. Besides, next summer we will all be buying something totally different anyway.
  14. bdrhode

bdrhode Member

This.

Nothing works perfectly, especially not brand new devices. If you actually bought this expecting zero bugs and perfect compatibility with everything under the sun, then...sorry. Nothing works that way. I knew that what I was buying was largely untapped potential, and I still feel that way. If the sleep issue is the worst thing happening to these things, I consider that a pretty solid achievement.
  15. iluvandroid

iluvandroid New Member

At first I was debating between the iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab, then read that the Thrive was coming out so I waited and must say I'm glad I did. I've had it for a week now and use it every minute I can before the 14 day return is up. I have not had any sleep issues. I've used the file manager with the USB port and viewed photos on the SD card which is one of the main reasons I got the Thrive. The other big reason is the changeable battery. I really don't mind the thickness and I love the way it feels in my hands. At first I didn't get a case just in case I decided to reeturn it but after using it for a day I went back to buy the folio case. I know some people here don't like it because it adds to the thickness but I really like the different ways you can change the positions and it feels very protective. I can't complain about the screen because it has sharp clarity and nice colors. It might not be as bright as the iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab, but why do you need such a bright screen anyway. I can't say there is anything I don't like about the Thrive yet but if I do, I will post it. Right now I will not be returning my Thrive! :)
  16. Theisy

Theisy New Member

I am very happy with my thrive. Had the reboot only a few times, and I am sure, Toshiba will have an update soon.
    Full Size HDMI, USB, SD: Features no other tablet has.
    Have fun with your Thrive
  17. techrider62

I will be picking up the lenovo thinkpad tab next month which has all the ports the thrive has and give my xoom to the wife.
  18. Bulldog1970

Bulldog1970 Active Member

Good luck with that.
  19. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

From the Lenovo website it only mentions the HMDI? the TV port. Nothing about SD or USB.
  20. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

Are you looking at the IdeaPad Tablet or the ThinkPad Tablet?

The IdeaPad Tablet has a microSD slot and mini HDMI.

The ThinkPad Tablet has a full-size SD slot, full-size USB port, and mini HDMI.

The ThinkPad Tablet is going to be the first one that even comes close to what the Thrive offers when talking about ports. The Thrive has it one-upped with a full-size HDMI port, but it's matched with the others. The ThinkPad Tablet also has a pretty sweet case with a ThinkPad style keyboard and pointer, along with an included capacitive stylus.

And to answer the original question in the thread - no, I'm not going to return mine. It has everything I want in a tablet. The ThinkPad Tablet is extremely intriguing, especially with that keyboard case, but if I really need a keyboard, I'll use a PC.
    Shofar likes this.
  21. Shofar

Shofar Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link and the info.

I am a long time ThinkPad user so I guess I'll wait till end of August and see how the ThinkPad Tablet matches us.

I'll be in the States till the end of August so I should be able to get delivery of the one I want by then.

Maybe you know: I've asked twice about using a USB 3G radio with the Thrive (or ThinkPad tablet) but no one seems to know if this will work.

One of the advantages of a tablet would be always connected.
  22. rushmore

The sleep issue has been fixed. Would be surprised if we do not see a fix published real soon.
  23. Torrid

Torrid Well-Known Member

Mine Thrive has been great--wouldnt think of returning it.
  24. bsweetness

bsweetness Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the Thrive supporting a USB 3G radio (although I've heard chatter about the possibility), but according to the specs, the ThinkPad Tablet will include 3G support via SIM out of the box. A 3G capable Thrive (with a SIM slot) is supposedly coming at some point.