Area Code choice?

Last Updated:

1. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Was anyone allowed to choose their own area code? I noticed the "Where will you be using your phone primarily?" question... and ignored it. I am wondering if this is where I could have chosen my area code.

I got the e-mail with my phone number and it auto-assigned the area code that corresponds to my zip code. This makes sense and is understandable, however, most of my family is in a different city and I am accustomed to sharing their area code.

I am wondering/hoping if T-mobile would let me change it for free since there was no obvious method of selecting an area code during the phone order process.

Advertisement
  2. idiotekniQues

idiotekniQues Well-Known Member

you should be able to change your number for free with T-Mobile customer service.

3. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Update: I called T-Mobile to upgrade my plan to the $99.99 unlimited everything. The guy told me it was $99.99 plus $30 for data, scared the shit out of me, but when I told him I read online that it was $99.99 FLAT he double-checked and said I was right.

As for the area-code thing, I explained how I never had the option to choose and was auto-assigned the area-code for my home address - he told me that it was a $15 dollar charge and there was no way to avoid it. Put me on hold for 5 min to double-check and that yes, there is no way to avoid paying the $15 even though I never got to choose.

I hung up, called back, and told the nice lady who answered that they have assigned me the "wrong" area code. She was more than happy to change it for free.

I know I pretty much answered my own question, but I thought this might be useful to at least one other person out there.

-My thanks to idiotekniQues.