Arkon Mega Grip and magnet placementAccessories

Last Updated:

1. twister6

twister6 Guides Guide This Topic's Starter

I wanted to start a different thread because this is specific to magnet placement to activate Car Dock mode while using Arkon Mega Grip mount. You can find my original review and pictures of this mount in http://androidforums.com/accessories-droid-x/142370-review-arkon-mega-grip-car-mount-w-dx.html

You do have to play with a polarity of your magnet and flip it one way or the other in order to activate Car Dock mode versus Multimedia Mode. If you look on the back of the phone and imagine a line between Moto symbol and speaker, the magnet placement should be somewhere around the middle right along the line where battery cover is. In the pictures below you can see I used a small round magnet. I just went to the kitchen and ripped it off one of the chip clips. Turned out to be the right height and you will see why. In my original review I mentioned that in order for the speakers to be exposed its better to place the phone with a camera part pushed against the side stoppers of the Mega Grip. Well, it just so happen that other edge of Mega Grip is aligned with where magnet supposed to go. So I simply super-glued it in there. As a bonus it keeps the phone horizontal since a magnet becomes sort of like a spacer on the other edge to even out camera bump.

Just for those who were thinking about taking Mega Grip apart to place it somewhere inside, its not really possible due to all the "guts". Here is picture of inside:

[​IMG]

It works great once you glue the magnet on outside. I'm pretty sure Arkon guys didn't plan the size of Mega Grip that way since its an universal mount, but it works out perfectly for our Droid X. Take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

WELL DONE! I just posted about my thoughts towards a setup like this just a bit ago! Very cool to see it IRL :)

3. kungfugecko

kungfugecko Member

just the post i was looking for! props for the pics =)

4. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member

Cool mod! Nice thinking with the chip clip magnet. ;)

5. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Isn't the base of the phone suppose to match up with the little "shelving" area of the mount...like in the video?

6. twister6

Yes, that's how they have it in the video. But if you position the phone that way mega grip back will cover DX speaker at the bottom of opposite side of the phone. Gotta keep speaker port open to hear turn-by-turn directions ;) In addition, keeping it upside down like that also aligns magnet perfectly.

7. JubbaTheHutt

Ahhh, good call.

8. lucybear06

lucybear06 Active Member

Does the phone come loose when it's vertical?

9. effin_eric

effin_eric Well-Known Member

what size / type magnet are you using?

10. twister6

Already replied in other thread, side grips keep it mega tights ;) Doesn't matter which way it goes; my choice was to keep speaker output in the back open.

I took this magnet off chip clip from the kitchen. It

11. irhxcbcziuzxs

irhxcbcziuzxs Well-Known Member

not sure if this will work with the body glove case :(

12. meanstreak

meanstreak Member

I used a high strength magnet but super thin magnet and placed it right above the letter "R" in Arkon. It is 7/16 diameter and a wafer thin 1/32. The magnet is about the same thickness as the imprinted letters in the ARKON isignia. Because have the magnet sits outside the oval logo it allows a gap for the speaker. Truthfully I did not have a problem with the speaker even when it was flush. Also I usually use a Motorola T505 bluetooth speaker and it is a better solution anyway and it has the capability to play through the car stereo. I was thinking of grinding a little divot into the mount so the phone sits perfectly flush. It is actually fine as is and incidently I have the Best Buy version of the Seido case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. JubbaTheHutt

So where does the magnet in relation to the device have to be positioned so it kicks into dock mode (does it differ between car and desktop docks)?

14. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

Location isn't different, it's the polarity of the magnet. One side triggers car dock and the flip side triggers multi media mode. I think I put mine centered from top to bottom just above the back slit/speaker. Play around with it and you'll figure it out pretty easily. I bought a six pack of magnets from the Dollar Store.

15. akita

akita Well-Known Member

For those that don't know, if you decide to position the phone as arkon has done it in their vid (opposite of how twister does ), you can hear the phone perfectly fine.

Is the magnet really necessary when you can just use the car dock app?

16. mortymouse

mortymouse Well-Known Member

Going to try this out this week. Just need to go get the magnets.