Aroundme for AndroidSupport

Last Updated:

1. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to find the Android equivalent of the iphone app AroundMe. I know it is out there because I have seen reviews for it. One was on the BBC Click programme only a few minutes ago. A couple of the reviews on the web even have the barcode, but when I scan it I get back that the app can't be found in the market.

The app I am after is by Tweakersoft, who make the one for the iphone too. I know there is an app in the market called Aroundme, but that one is different and is by Ameliemedia. I don't want that one.

Any idea why I can't find it and any suggestions as to how I can get it on my phone please?

Advertisement
  2. mez

mez Well-Known Member

ONly found 3 results when searching "Aroundme" only one was called aroundme but not by the people your talking about. Is it poss the app has been taken off to have work done or is like so many for 1.6 and up

Androlib website might have some information

3. peterc10

Yep tried that ...

It is on Androlib, but when I try the barcode it can't be found. No mention of it only being for 1.6 and above. Hence my post.

Anybody got it on their Hero?

4. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Well-Known Member

LOTS of choices!

Check out these location-aware business finders in the Market:

"Google Places Directory" (looks almost exactly like AroundMe)
    "Where" (much nicer than AroundMe)
    "Aloqa" (another very nice business finder)

Also look at:

"Layar" - a "reality browser"
    "Google Maps" now has a "popular category" layer

There may be others. Android has many, many location-aware search apps, but the one that I think looks the most like AroundMe is the Google Places Directory app. Do check out Where, though -- very nice app.

Edit: sorry if any of these apps don't have a good UK presence - I didn't think about that.

5. lobug

lobug Banned

Yeah I've got it, but apparently it doesn't work in the UK according to the comments.. BTW, mine is rooted and is running an eclair ROM, so that may be why it isn't showing on your Hero. I was gonna upload the APK, but for some reason it won't let me :/

6. peterc10

@stretch2m
    Thanks for that. I already have Google Places & Google Maps. Can't find Where, and Aloqa is reported as being very heavily weighted to US. You missed out Yelp, which I also have, but which I think is not as good as Google. What I was looking for was to try AroundMe to see how it shapes up here in the UK when compared with Google & Yelp.

@lobug
    Thanks for that. Maybe it is because you are rooted - can you get all the apps? Have you tried the app to see what it is like in the UK? If it is no good then I will stick with what I have got.

7. POWAYSS

POWAYSS New Member

I have had Aroundme loaded on my Droid for a couple of months and it still does not find the restaurant that is the closes to me. This is a little embarrassing because the owner of the restaurant showed me this App on his iPhone and his restaurant comes out at the top of the list on his iPhone. The App never seems to find this particular restaurant.

Any suggestions....Thanks