[ARTICLE] Virgin Mobile accounts are easy to hack

Last Updated:

1. ktb83

ktb83 Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

We already knew VM USA's security was terrible. Where's that other thread...
  3. ktb83

ktb83 Well-Known Member

It is clearly bad. I wouldn't have guessed it was this bad!

Rate-limiting relying only on cookies? WTF?
  4. rcsrich

rcsrich Well-Known Member

Yeah- and now every idiot in the world knows just how poor their security is.

Yay.
  5. Petrah

Any company that asks for your pin number in emails, on Facebook, or on Twitter is bad. We tried to warn everyone before (in another thread) but no one would listen.
  6. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

I find it interesting I've been unable to get to the "My Account" page on the VM website since yesterday.
  7. hchen42

hchen42 Well-Known Member

I still can. I did get a "service overload, try again" page. Try refresh the page.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hacking has begun.
  8. rcsrich

Excellent! Uh, I mean bogus... :mad:
  9. rcsrich

...and still no reply from VM as to if they will fix the issue. Classy.
  10. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

11. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

Someone in the comments noted that they disallow PINs with the same digit repeated 3 times. For anyone else similarly pedantic, that reduces the combinations by 35,919.
  12. Petrah

Doesn't matter. A piece of software can sit there and guess numbers at lightening speed. Only someone who didn't know what they're doing is going to sit there and manually try to guess a 6 digit pin number.

Try any 6 digit number combination here: How Secure Is My Password?
  13. aurora40

aurora40 Well-Known Member

I didn't suggest a 6 digit PIN was secure. I was simply curious how many of the 1,000,000 combos were excluded by the restriction that you not have 3 of the same digit in a row.

I'm aware of how quickly a computer can programatically walk through 1,000,000 numbers, as I wrote a quick one-liner to come up with the 35,919 number vs try to recall my days in Discrete Mathematics as an undergrad.

With the article from the OP using a 1-sec per try, that would save about 9 1/2 hours.
  14. Petrah

My boyfriend is a programmer by trade (works his business from our home)... I honestly dunno how you guys do that math. Just looking at it makes my head implode.