Articles about Task KillersGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Syv3n

Syv3n Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can you send me a link to your Task Killer post that proves it is not needed please?

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

3. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

A post that "proves" it's not needed ? You'll get people's opinions on why they're not needed (or in some opinions, why they are needed), not any proof to speak of.

4. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

Pretty funny stuff ! I subscribe to 2 mags, Maximum PC and Laptop. This month Laptop has 165 Time Savers for every Laptop and smartphone.

Guess what their #1 time saving pick is for Android ?

I'll give you one shot at it !

5. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Precisely!

I've heard "official" reports that taskillers are the #1 thing everyone needs to download, waited a day, then heard how taskillers are just a total waste of memory, and every app will close as soon as it is not needed.

Personally, I have a taskiller on my phone. Want to know how many times I've used it in the six months I've had it? Maybe twice. One of those times, I used it just to see if it would work.

If you want to have a taskiller for the peace of mind, download it. If you don't think think you need it or will use it, then don't download

This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

6. Mechmess

Mechmess Member

I love how OTD has become a sort of bat signal.

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

hookem likes this.
  8. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OfTheDamned likes this.
  9. OfTheDamned

Thanks W4lly. I lol'd

10. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

We can throw it up when ever you're needed, just look for it in the sky :p

11. OfTheDamned

Lol You guys would probably find that the report button works MUCH better. :D

On Topic:

If the OP is actually looking for the link that I had in my sig, I removed it when I was made a mod. I anticipated too many issues further down the road with that link.

Here is the article though.
    http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Edit: I changed the title to reflect the topic.

12. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

I am a Linux Systems Engineer, and one of the first things I loaded on my Eris was a task killer..

Sure Linux is smart when it comes to managing ram, but if you really dont need the app running its just wasted space.. seriously.. last thing I want is my phone swapping memory..

13. hallstevenson

This reminds me.... A few days ago I had used the camera on my phone. A few hours later, the battery was almost dead. When I looked at what was using the battery (battery usage), guess what it was ? The camera, at 93% !! Glad "Linux" shut the camera down on it's own when it saw I wasn't using it anymore ! Oh wait, it didn't, and nearly used up all of my battery. Hmmm...

14. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

You need to "Back" out of everything for it to work properly, one of the first things mentioned in the Tips/Hints section.

15. gotweed

gotweed Well-Known Member

i noticed when i took of task killer my phone was faster but i got the android system info app it shows my battery life how much ram i have and more and goes through cpu kills tasks tab, and my phone is runnin smooth, runnin stock 1.5 baby

16. Mxyzptlk

Mxyzptlk New Member

Maybe if every application had an X button or Exit button in the upper right hand corner then all would be right under the cyber dome. I am endlessly searching for this and then realizing I am just suppose to back out and let this go.

Mx :(

17. hallstevenson

So which is it ? We shouldn't have to back out of apps properly since Linux will shut apps down for us...

18. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

Linux itself will not kill the app, you have to kill the app yourself..

19. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

I have some apps that I cant kill, everytime I go to my task killer bbc, footprints, peep, and stocks are open, as well it ignores ones that open naturally such as mail, gmail, messages, weather... things that are needed for operation of the phone.

Backing out of most apps will kill them, but even some, such as Dolphin if you use the exit and clear cache option it stays open. I find it much easier after I do a round of checking things -- running the browser, listening to music, checking phandroid etc its easier just to kill everything that is open rather than going to each and backing out.

My phone runs pretty smooth when it has a low amount of apps installed and the stock sense. I reset my phone to default every couple weeks because it seems to start to run slow even if I clear cache and task kill everything.

Last time I did this I installed half the constantly running apps, such as sms popup etc, and I stopped using GDE, I feel there is a memory leak in GDE on 1.5 that gets worse as time passes.

I personally feel that the phone runs better with one. Its quicker to kill tasks, you don't have to pay attention to backing out instead of hitting home, and I have *not* noticed android caching whatever apps it wants, it is only the core apps I listed at the top. When I kill everything it only insists on opening stocks, peep, footprints, and BBC -- even though BBC is set to sync articles 0 times a day when not in use.... and all of those apps only equate to 5 mb of ram.

20. hallstevenson

Not according to some people...