• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

As a Droid owner, I'm happy for my N1 brothers

I thought the droid was completely FUGLY....until I held it in person.

There's something slick and defiantly different about the form factor (that im sure you all understand). But man it seemed to weird to me just how different I felt about it when I had only seen pictures of it online.

It's because it looks like an mini-HDTV. At least, for me it does. It doesn't look like a slab phone. It looks like a consumer electronic. I like the gloss black. I like that it's ALL black. I like that the screen is made of Gorilla glass, scratch proof, like a man's phone should be. Gorilla anything would cool :)

Upvote 0
It's a geek phone. A man's phone. It's not pretty. It's the same reason you don't buy a rounded edge TV with funny accent colors. You buy the glossy black one that has the metallic accents. The iPhone and N1 are phones for people like the man-chicks at Engadget who spend 40% of their "full review" talking about how it feels in the hand, shape and look, instead of looking at a phone's ability to multi-task, run multiple apps, compose an email while listening to Pandora, etc.

Upvote 0
It's a geek phone. A man's phone. It's not pretty. It's the same reason you don't buy a rounded edge TV with funny accent colors. You buy the glossy black one that has the metallic accents. The iPhone and N1 are phones for people like the man-chicks at Engadget who spend 40% of their "full review" talking about how it feels in the hand, shape and look, instead of looking at a phone's ability to multi-task, run multiple apps, compose an email while listening to Pandora, etc.

Lol. Had a good laugh over that line. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
I've felt that instead of us having buyer's remorse, it's more the fanboys have had remorse they haven't been having the 2.0 fun we have had for the past 2 months. But I love where this is going. Android is just going to get better and better, Google will continue to make Verizon a better carrier, and we all get to reap the rewards.

Upvote 0
Initially, I was going to wait for this phone to come out before purchasing the Droid, but after reading about the N1, it's a great phone, but the Droid does not fail in comparison. I think the official release of 2.1 and flash support will make us Moto Droiderz even happier!

I agree on those who commented that there's nothing that is really "mind-boggling" about the N1. I don't see any game-changing features at this point.

Cosmetically, to each his own, but I prefer the Droid over N1.

In summary, the N1 is an awesome phone, but so is the Droid. Peaceful coexistence.

There's my fitty cent. :p

Upvote 0
Good news to for those on Verizon waiting for the N1. Vodafone announced that the "Spring 2010" release that was announced is coming in a few weeks...so perhaps feb/march? Verizon can't be far off themselves which is nice.

I'm still trying to decide Droid vs HTC Bravo (if they announce the darn thing tonight lol) vs. N1. I'm leaning towards Droid still, esp since anything that was sexy on the N1 is mainly software in 2.1...which is coming to Droid in A FEW DAYS :D

Upvote 0
I thought the droid was completely FUGLY....until I held it in person.

There's something slick and defiantly different about the form factor (that im sure you all understand). But man it seemed to weird to me just how different I felt about it when I had only seen pictures of it online.

I'm right there with you... The online pics certainly did not do the droid justice. And to echo other posts, the lack of a physical keyboard on the N1 is a deal breaker for me.

To each his/her own...

Upvote 0
I am one having buyers remorse. The Droid was touted as the greatest thing ever, but not 2 months later, Google comes out with something better?
Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my Droid, it is a great phone, it just happens that something better is already here.
And we can argue all we want about the physical keyboard, and that the processor is just slightly faster in real life comparisons, the specs are just way better for the N1.

I would love to get the N1 when it comes out for Verizon, but my wife wont sign the PO for that ;)

Upvote 0
I'm jealous. I don't use the keyboard on my Droid, and want a trackball. But regardless I'm happy with my Droid, and most likely won't get the N1. But as you said the Market is definitely going to start growing more and more, and soon have as much, if not more the the Apple App store.

Why do you want a trackball? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a trackball for cursor control, but I'm willing to trade that up because they tend to fail. And for the N1, where the OS doesn't even require it, why have it?

Upvote 0
I am one having buyers remorse. The Droid was touted as the greatest thing ever, but not 2 months later, Google comes out with something better?
Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my Droid, it is a great phone, it just happens that something better is already here.
And we can argue all we want about the physical keyboard, and that the processor is just slightly faster in real life comparisons, the specs are just way better for the N1.

I would love to get the N1 when it comes out for Verizon, but my wife wont sign the PO for that ;)

After you get your Nexus guess what? 2 months later something else will come out & smash it. Will you go for it too?

Upvote 0

Who touted it as the greatest phone ever? I think it was the fan boys. From what I gather, the N1 and the DROID are different phones, but good in their own way. Yeah, the N1 has it's strong points:

- slightly faster processor
- thin, light form factor
- no keyboard (for those who don't want it)
- AMOLED screen
- OS2.1
- more RAM (but the same amount of ROM for app storage!)

Just to name a few... The DROID has it's own strong points:

- an equally potent processor with BETTER GPU
- a gloss black plastic finish, instead of a two-tone metallic-painted plastic
- keyboard (for those who want it for a VARIETY of things)
- no AMOLED, but brilliant LCD screen that doesn't get washed out in bright sunny days
- that same screen is a more resolute 854x480 compared to N1's 800x480 (missing 26,000 pixels)
- and uh, hello, GORILLA glass (scratch proof, virtually shatter resistant, etc.)
- standard 16 gb SD

You see... same but different. Both good in their own way. The N1 is the slimmest non-keyboard form factor. The DROID is THE slimmest slideout qwerty ever! Why the buyer's remorse? When just around the corner is the Motorola Shadow!

Upvote 0
For those having buyer's remorse, you should read some of the first impressions from N1 owners. There are comments like:

- If you have a DROID, keep it. If you want a new phone, get the N1; it's the best.
- Scrolling home screens is fast and smooth, live wallpaper slows it down to a crawl.
- No exchange calendar or email native application/support. (This must have been a Google decision to make it a pure Google phone.)

Otherwise, it's making the owners quite happy, but DROID owners in remorse need not kill themselves right yet :)

Upvote 0
Who touted it as the greatest phone ever? I think it was the fan boys. From what I gather, the N1 and the DROID are different phones, but good in their own way. Yeah, the N1 has it's strong points:

- slightly faster processor
- thin, light form factor
- no keyboard (for those who don't want it)
- AMOLED screen
- OS2.1
- more RAM (but the same amount of ROM for app storage!)

Just to name a few... The DROID has it's own strong points:

- an equally potent processor with BETTER GPU
- a gloss black plastic finish, instead of a two-tone metallic-painted plastic
- keyboard (for those who want it for a VARIETY of things)
- no AMOLED, but brilliant LCD screen that doesn't get washed out in bright sunny days
- that same screen is a more resolute 854x480 compared to N1's 800x480 (missing 26,000 pixels)
- and uh, hello, GORILLA glass (scratch proof, virtually shatter resistant, etc.)
- standard 16 gb SD

You see... same but different. Both good in their own way. The N1 is the slimmest non-keyboard form factor. The DROID is THE slimmest slideout qwerty ever! Why the buyer's remorse? When just around the corner is the Motorola Shadow!

I thought we had a better GPU also, but after doing some research the N1's is almost twice as potent. (14Mpoly/s VS 22Mpoly/s) But we don;t have any games to really take advantage of that on Android yet.

Upvote 0
I think it's awesome as most of the android phones have proven themselves but I honestly can't say I'm jealous. Without the physical keyboard, it's a lesser phone, IMO.
This
and
No. I think the physical keyboard is great and use it 90% of the time. I'm not jealous of anything. To each his own.
That

I looked at the N1 last night and its a really cool/awesome looking phone. but the only thing keeping me from buying it at somepoint is the lack of a physical keyboard. I agree though the droid's keyboard could be a little better, but its perfect for me.

oh and everybody getting the N1 enjoy yourself, your in for one hell of a ride :)

Upvote 0
I think verizon getting the N1 was a good idea. Im sure google liked how verizon handled the sale of the moto droid and t-mobile with the G1. Now apple is gonna come out with a new iphone with LED flash just to say its new iphone. :)

Well obviously there gonna take the stuff from Android and apply it to the iPhone:
Obviously, multitasking is coming to the iPhone..camera will be bumped to 5...flash...and this iPhone will probably have a completley new UI and customazation features..Probably Steve Jobs will take credit for technology that has already existed...and say with the new iPhone 4G, Apple has completley revamped the UI and the result is beautiful: Shows UI and then says along with the UI, Apple has allowed for customazation of the UI demoes Widgets etc..and everyone claps. wow i really went off topic

Upvote 0
I thought we had a better GPU also, but after doing some research the N1's is almost twice as potent. (14Mpoly/s VS 22Mpoly/s) But we don;t have any games to really take advantage of that on Android yet.

Yeah, those are paper stats. UP TO 22Mpolys/sec. However, the Qualcomm Neocore 3D Benchmark test returned 26.7fps for the N1, which is exactly the same frame rate for the piece of crap G1. Certainly not a frame rate worthy of a stat like 22Mp/s. I don't know... I will have to see more definitive test marks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones