As Much As I Love My N7, It Can Be A PainGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-12-04 18:27:33
  1. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

Yesterday something in my display fried. The display went to a very low contrast where the blacks on the screen look much brighter than they ought to. It's like screwing with the contrast on a TV. I'm bummed because I love this tablet but do understand hardware issues happen. That's life with any technology.

It's still under warranty so I started backing it up in preparation for wiping it and returning it to ASUS. That's where my real issues began. I'm rooted so I had Titanium back everything up. Then I connected to my computer via USB to copy everything to my hard drive. You'd think that would be easy. You'd be wrong.

Windows 7 isn't overly fond of the N7. When I copy a bunch of directories to my PC, it takes several minutes to calculate space requirements then it may or may not actually do anything. The less directories selected to copy the better chance you have of something happening.

I got frustrated and decided to focus on the backup files from Titanium. They simply wouldn't copy. Drag a single file and Win7 goes through the space requirement motions then does nothing. It's really annoying.

I blame Google because I've had similar issues with my GNex which is the only other device I have which mounts as a media device in Windows. I read it was easier on their end to do things this way but think of how a non-technical person would handle this. I can still think of a few things to try but my sister, for example, a smart and patient person would have no idea where to go from here.

I'm done complaining and informing. On to my question. Does anyone remember which app allows wifi transfers between the N7 and PC? That may be my solution.

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Try MyPhoneExplorer. It's a little flaky, but I used it when I had similar issues getting my PC to talk to my TF101. You'll need the desktop client and to install the app on your N7.

If you just want the TB folder, what about using the dropbox/Google Drive sync options?
  3. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I forget about using DB/GD with Ti. I tend to not trust "the cloud" but this would be a good use for it.

Thanks for suggesting MyPhoneExplorer! I couldn't remember the name.