Ascending To Froyo 2.2

Last Updated:

1. seanxwong

seanxwong Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Desire is the version 2.1, the newest version 2.2 is the very thing I am eager to get. here are som questions always cathing me out pretty badly,

1. Is a gold card ( partitioned SD card) required for upgrading?
    2. Is rooting anything to do with upgrading to 2.2?
    3. Is it possible for me to simply download 2.2 from HTC.com and install onto my Desire on my own without all things mentioned above?

Could you please gimme an easy-to-understand answer as I am ignorant of tech things.

Advertisement
  2. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

If your looking to get the official HTC release of FroYo with their SenseUIthen you need do nothing but wait for your phone to alert you of the ability to update OTA (Over The Air). Gold cards and rooting are there is you want to change aspects of the core OS and if your ignorant of tech things it really isn't worth the risk of trying to root. ;)

In regards to downloading from HTC I'm unsure as to wether or not this will be possible as specific carriers will release specific flavours of 2.2 customised for their users. If HTC do release one via their own website it will possibly be only for non network branded users who bought SIM free.

3. seanxwong

I seem to have been enlightened so much with your explanation. the things that wouldnt bother me anymore are that I am a non-contracted user and can change SIM card at any time as I like, which means I can directly get 2.2 downloaded from HTC.com? I am not quite sure I may be able to get a OTA alert from my phone to remind me of upgrading as the country I am in has no such service for the mobile phone's firmware upgrading.

4. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Right just had another lookthe best thing to do would be to keep an eye on the grapevine/here for when 2.2 is finally released upon release go to Settings>About Phone>System software updates and click check now if you don't get the standard update alert. This should locate the update and so long as your connected to wifi or a data connection with enough left on your transfer limit you will be able to download to your phone direct from HTC. It can't be downloaded to a PC for manual installation.

5. seanxwong

So many thanks Stublake, I have only one daft question left for you: what did you mean by "transfer limit"? is it Internal Storage Limit remaining on the phone or something else? Oops here are 2 questions.

6. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

No by transfer limit I was referring to your data plan from your mobile network and no problem :D

7. bigthunderkid

bigthunderkid Member

seanxwong,

you can also check the official HTC website - when they push out an OTA upgrade there is normally a version available on the website (HTC - Support)* for manual upload as well.

**However, pls be aware that the OTA upload basically leaves your customised settings "as is" and simply upgrades the firmware - in contrast, a manual upload is likely to put the device back to factory settings so you should perform a backup first! :eek:

cheers
    BTK

* Your country may not receive firmware updates at the same time as other locations so you might need to change the country location on the website (top right hand corner).

** I know this because it is exactly what happened with me. My wife updated her Desire to vers.1.21.405.2 via OTA but I did mine manually via the website.

p.s. I've just been browsing thru the HTC website and they seem to have discontinued the practice of providing manual downloadable versions on their support page - perhaps some less savvy users were having trouble with this??

8. seanxwong

I am grateful to have had the answers from both of you, that I think i am getting a clear picture of how to have my Desire updated. the country, China, I live in would certainly lag behind other countries to release the new version to all chinese users. I don't doubt it at all and nothing much i can do for that.

as you said the all new things go into SD card rather than the internal storage if I update mannually, How much space should I have left on SD card for the 2.2?

P.S.: I am using a 2g SD card by the way.

9. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

Hi again Seanxwong,

Don't worry about space on the SD card updating the OS to the latest version (2.2) is all stored on the internal memory on the phone. Your SD card just needs to be big enough to install all the apps you want and for your mp3's and videos afterwards.

In regards to updating manually this isn't possible as bigthunderkid added at the end of his post and I mentioned earlier:

So unless you can get the OTA update it appears you may very well be stuck. Which if it is the case rooting your phone will be the best way forward and installing the stock HTC FroYo 2.2 ROM but that to look forward to another day after HTC actually launch it and you can see if you get it OTA.

10. seanxwong

Hi stublake,

I am considering not doing anything to my phone as it'd be risky for me being unfamiliar with rooting and such. Can I conclude that I may not possibly update to the 2.2 supposing that my phone is not rooted AND that I dont get the OTA alert on my phone?

11. skywlkr

skywlkr Member

Hey!

Onoe more question about rooting: if I root my phone, do I lose the 2-years warranty from HTC?

12. seanxwong

yes the warranty will be voided.

skywlkr likes this.