• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Motorola DROID MAXX!

Thanks! I did see that and am very curious... I'm trying to keep my Verizon unlimited plan by paying for devices outright... I'm sure the new Quark/Turbo won't be cheap so thought a Maxx would be a less expensive option...

One other thing to be aware of, if you are buying a new Maxx, is that they are now limited to 16 GB of storage. There is no 32 GB Maxx anymore, at least for new devices. You didn't ask about it, but I know I'd want to know that going in...

Reactions: pchain
Upvote 0
If you post the URL of a page that has the problem we can take a look at it.

... Thom
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-does-tattooing-work .
Here is an example of what my videos are doing. I guess it's not exclusive to YouTube videos, but it doesn't do it to every single video, like I said the bottom of the video is grey(it looks a lot like white noise, except its like gray noise) lol and there are four maybe five horizontal lines that look like splices in the video, you can hear the video but you can't see it. it's all jumbled. hope this is what you asked for. If not I apologize and perhaps you can explain it in more detail and I will try to get it for you. Thank you so very much.

Upvote 0
So briefly after a restart, my widgets work. All of my after market widgets such as local weather station, ESPN, MLB and Smooth Calendar all stop working. I have tried uninstalling and removing widgets and reinstalling and readding widgets. Force closes don't work either. How do I keep my widgets working? They usually only last just a real short time...an hour or so. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
Hello thank you for your assistance with the following...

Droid Maxx XT1080/KitKat: 4.4.4/received this new Droid Maxx 4 weeks ago and so September 25, 2014 I noticed a red dot just below the notification area (upper right below but between the alarm clock and wifi icons. This little red light can be seen only when the display is active and not in sleep mode and is seen all the time does not matter what I am doing on this cellphone i.e. Chrome, making and/or active calls, Calendar, Email, Gmail, People/Contacts, Games, Calculator, Clock/Alarm Clock, as mentioned this little red light appears at the same location and all the time.

I worked with Motorola Android Customer Service Department via. live chat at ...
site for further assistance by clicking this link https://motorola-globalportal.
custhelp.com/app/home/

F.Y.I.
Motorola Android Customer Service Department at 800-734-5870 during Mondays to
Fridays 8am till 11pm and Saturdays and Sundays 10am till 7pm CST.

We did a reboot (holding down the volume key and power button, pwr on/off, *safemode - note while in safemode little red light was still present in the same location as previously described, also clear the cache via.

Clear Cache Partition
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/95478

...and so none of the above resolved i.e. removed the little red light that is always present only when screen is active, when in sleep mode this little red light goes away.

Recently Installed Applications:
Pulse, Dropbox, FIOS Mobile, Emoji Keyboard, Funny Morning, News Talk 630 WRPO, ooVoo, Instagram, Netflix, Patriots, Pandora, Messenger, Pulse, (Smart Voice Recorder most recently installed but removed it no change).Skype, Babbel-Spanish, Translate-Language Translating app, Tunein Radio, TweetCaster, Twitter, Verizon Tones, Vevo,Vzprotect.

My viewpoint...I don't think this "little red light" condition is related to any of the applications installed because I've had them for all of 4 weeks since I received my DroidMaxx XT1080/4.4.4 and this condition was not present. I suspect that this is a design bug i.e. pixel burn out.

Please advise, sorry for the long info provided above but I thought it would be beneficial in providing.

Thank you, best regards ....

Dijonez

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the welcome to this forum. Today I went in the Verizon Store and am waiting on a replacement. I did a little research and read up on AMOLED/SAMOLED technology (interesting read) If you'd like to read then ---> AMOLED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My hunch is the little red light now exhibited on my DroidMaxx screen just under the notification area that won't go away is the result of something gone wrong with the display i.e. one of, or a combination of, or all of 4 layers ....Verizon was nice enough to submit a request for a replacement to be sent to me (awesome).

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
I hope your issues with the device are resolved with a replacement unit. I'm pretty confident in saying that the small aggravation now will be worth it. This is the best device I have ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. Even a year into being a Maxx owner I'm ecstatic over the performance and ability. I don't think I could ever own another device that doesn't have the active notifications and touchless control. Oh yeah, and epic battery life :)

Upvote 0
When my phone locks, it would show my any.do list of things to on what I think is called the "Active Display." I had to install and uninstall any.do due to problems and now when it locks, it just shows gmail and asks to setup. I have gone through all the Settings and can't figure out how to set the app that appears on the Lock screen AT THE TOP.

Upvote 0
As per my official DROID MAXX review on Phandroid.com, anyone curious about anything in regards to the DROID MAXX can ask here, and their question shall be answered. Don't be shy!
My razr quit working, no network, checked with Motorla says possible sim card, Verizon rebooted, got home after couple hours lost network again, 2 days nothing, prob starte 3 wks ago, help

Upvote 0
Motomatt:
For locked pictures, I have used a free app called QuickPic for several years. It lets you hide certain folders with a password. However, some pictures still manage to leak into the standard Gallery app. So I disable the Gallery app, which has other occasional undesirable consequences.

It's a decent but not family-proof answer.

Reactions: motomatt
Upvote 0
Hi, just wondering if there is any way on the stock phone to set up a photo album that is password locked. Got some pics that are not suitable for the kids. If no stock way maybe an app that would do this?
Try "Hide It PRO". https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartanuj.hideitpro
It masquerades as a simple audio control app (and does a decent job at that). But, long press on the top menu and enter your password and you now have access to all of your hidden items (pics, video, documents etc...)

EDIT:
I should add, the app does a very good job of hiding things but with enough time, a file browser and if someone knows semi what they are looking for things can be found. This is not military grade encryption, but it does the job.

Upvote 0
Hi, just wondering if there is any way on the stock phone to set up a photo album that is password locked. Got some pics that are not suitable for the kids. If no stock way maybe an app that would do this?

I also recommend HIDE IT PRO...Its simple and a good tool for hiding Pics, Video, Texts, Apps, and other things. You should most def give it a try!!

Upvote 0
Hi, I ditched Verizon recently for Straight Talk (AT&T). Very happy with HSPA+ speeds and don't miss LTE. Anyway, I was wondering how I can get the Lollipop update after no longer being tied to Verizon. Will Motorola offer it on their site, etc? I would hate to not be able to receive the update.

Just as a side note. I was bummed when I took the KitKat update to 4.4.4 and FoxFi WiFi tether no longer worked. However with the AT&T Straight Talk SIM the native WiFi hotspot is fully functional, pretty cool!

Upvote 0
Hi, I ditched Verizon recently for Straight Talk (AT&T). Very happy with HSPA+ speeds and don't miss LTE. Anyway, I was wondering how I can get the Lollipop update after no longer being tied to Verizon. Will Motorola offer it on their site, etc? I would hate to not be able to receive the update.

Just as a side note. I was bummed when I took the KitKat update to 4.4.4 and FoxFi WiFi tether no longer worked. However with the AT&T Straight Talk SIM the native WiFi hotspot is fully functional, pretty cool!
There almost certainly will be a way to get the update manually. However, no one can predict at this point how Lollipop will work on other carriers. It will take some testing once it actually arrives to see if/how it will behave on non V networks. Short answer, it is waaaaay too early to try and guess.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
As per my official DROID MAXX review on Phandroid.com, anyone curious about anything in regards to the DROID MAXX can ask here, and their question shall be answered. Don't be shy!

I am having the red eye problem. Except I cannot go to Verizon, we went on Verizon revolt recently and switched to Page Plus. They use Verizon towers and am very happy with their service. We have 3 Maxx's and Love the battery life. However my daughters recently started losing 3g service ( Page Plus is now in the process of going 4G). She would have to reboot but would lose it again. Now her phone is stuck on the Red Eye. I have tried Vol up/dwn Pwr did wipe cache partition to no avail then Factory Rest also to no avail. Can anyone instruct me how to fix this problem? I am recently disabled and cannot afford a new phone right now. I've read a little about using adb and rsd I think it was to reprogram phone but seems complicated. But since I have the time I'd go that route if someone could hold my hand so to speak.Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones