• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Motorola DROID MAXX!

Settings / Language & keyboard and make sure that the keyboard you installed is checked. However, if the keyboard won't show it won't give you a choice to choose another one. (There is usually a notification on the pull down that let's you change keyboards, but only if you have another one checked.)

Also, settings / apps. Scroll down to find Google Keyboard and tap it. Let it refresh and then tap the button "clear data". Then restart the phone.

See if the keyboard now works. If not, go back to settings / apps, Google keyboard and tap the button "uninstall updates". See if that helps.

The new keyboard installed is now working and it worked for a while during phone calls but it quit again today. The keyboard is nowhere to be found and now the home and back keys don't work during phone calls either. I'm not sure how to get it working again. Now the previous suggestions don't do anything at all. Please help. Is it something I'm doing? I don't have any new updates that I know about...

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm new to the Droid maxx and I have a couple of questions. First of all, when my phone has been sitting for a while, it suddenly asks for a password and if I dont answer it keeps asking every minute. I need to leave my phone on for business purposes so I need to shut that off.

Also, when I got the phone, there was a "Siri" like feature that I could ask questions to and would verbally give me a response. That just stopped. I dont know if I did something I shouldnt have but I have looked through all of the possbile settings and have turned them all on. The voice was of a british woman. Now when I get any kind of questions from the phone it is a womans voice with an American voice. This makes me think this is separate from voice search and it is something I changed and I dont know how to get to it. I did install Google go and it completely changed how my phone was set up including removing the clock widgit that has the clock, weather and battery strength and took away the cards I selected. AND it still didnt bring the voice back. SO I uninstalled it so my phone would at least look the way I want it but I wish I could get the British Lady back. I am a novice to this phone and I have searched the internet for DAYS to find answers for these problems. Maybe I dont know the correct terminology to ask the questions. I appreciate any help you can give me on this!!!
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm new to the Droid maxx and I have a couple of questions. First of all, when my phone has been sitting for a while, it suddenly asks for a password and if I dont answer it keeps asking every minute. I need to leave my phone on for business purposes so I need to shut that off.

Well, settings / security & screen lock. You can change the "screen lock" to "none" or "slide" if you can (you may not be able to; you say that you use it for business purposes, and if that means that you've added exchange account access it may be that your employer insists on the phone having a lock screen method.) However, hopefully you can change the "automatically lock" timeout to something more.

Also, when I got the phone, there was a "Siri" like feature that I could ask questions to and would verbally give me a response. That just stopped. I dont know if I did something I shouldnt have but I have looked through all of the possbile settings and have turned them all on.

Settings / touchless countrol.

The voice was of a british woman. Now when I get any kind of questions from the phone it is a womans voice with an American voice.

This I do not know. I have never heard a British voice, ever.

It may be that you were using something other than touchless control - namely, Google's OK Google detection. Go into the app Google settings, the tap "search & now", then "voice". From here make sure that "speech output " is on, and tap "offline speech recognition. It probably has "English (US)" - tap "All" and then choose "English (UK)" and see if that changes anything. Go back to the "Voice" settings and then tap "OK Google detection" and make sure that it is turned on. Go back to settings / touchless control and turn it off for now.

I'm not sure in the UK English voice is "female" or "male" - but see what happens.

Upvote 0
I don't like the default text app because of the inability to change background colors, so I downloaded Verizon Messages. I get a status bar notification, but no number over the VM+ icon on my home screen. I also tried Google Messenger as well, same thing happens. Is there any way to fix this or know of another texting app that it would work how I want it to?

P.S - Tried with Textra also, same thing happens.

Attachments

• phone1.png
    phone1.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 164
  • phone2.png
    phone2.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
With the stock launcher, only the stock messaging app can be badged with an unread number. The launcher Nova Prime (which isn't free) has a free plug-in called Tesla Plug In that can put unread badges on just about any app. If that's what you need, I suggest trying out Nova Launcher Prime with Tesla.

[edit]Play Store links:

Nova Launcher: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher
Nova Launcher Prime unlock (you need both): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime
Tesla Plugin: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.notifier

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you try Nova Launcher Prime with the free add-on ... I predict that you will come away with the conclusion "why didn't anyone ever point me tat this in the past ... it is simply incredible".

Badges
Hide status par at top of page
Hide apps you hate in the app drawer
Backup configuration, do a Factory Data Rest, restore the configuration

... Thom

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
Maybe this has been asked before but I cannot find the answer anywhere: using the standard Messaging (green, smiley face quote box) app that comes with the phone, is there any way to switch to having to press the "send" button twice to send a message instead of once? The problem is that I have accidentally been sending messages before they are ready to be sent.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My Droid Maxx will only display Eastern time. I have checked and the correct (Central) time zone is selected as "home time" and that time is displayed correctly in the window. I have tried turning the phone off and on again and resetting the home time zone with no luck. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
What happens when you set it to automatic date & time and automatic time zone?

If that doesn't show the proper time, my guess is that there is a faulty location reading that makes the phone think you are somewhere else. Do you have wifi turned on? If you go into Google Maps, does it place you where you really are?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones