• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Motorola DROID MAXX!

Is there a command to trigger Vehicle Mode instead of a magnet?

I haven't used Tasker in a long time. Perhaps there is a way to do so from there?

I found Nova launcher. How can I get it to read from current home screen as it is not importing.

As far as I know, Nova launcher cannot import from the Motorola Launcher, no.

Upvote 0
Circles -the circles can be found in the app drawer in the widgets folder. If you drag that widget to the home screen under Nova Launcher it will emit an error message that it is not supported under third party launchers.

Landscape - in Nova Launcher settings ... Look and Feel | Screen Orientation and pick the approach you want.

(There are a LOT of options ... you have to look.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
What I meant is, can I use the circles widget with Nova launcher?

About Landscape mode, I got it on the homescreen. Thank you. However, when I make phone calls, the Recent Calls, etc is still in portrait. Also, my slide lock is still in portrait. Even when I force Nova Launcher to landscape, those two are still portrait.

I'm trying to make this totally car ready. Though I have tried the magnet yet.

Upvote 0
What I meant is, can I use the circles widget with Nova launcher?

If you mean the Droid Command Center widget - no. It only works with the stock Motlauncher.

About Landscape mode, I got it on the homescreen. Thank you. However, when I make phone calls, the Recent Calls, etc is still in portrait. Also, my slide lock is still in portrait. Even when I force Nova Launcher to landscape, those two are still portrait.

Right. As far as I am aware, the dialer is portrait only. The same with the lock screen. It doesn't matter whether your default launcher supports landscape - the dialer and and the lockscreen are portrait only.

The stock launcher will spin to landscape when you are in car dock mode (i.e., when you have the phone in the Griffin car dock) and have the phone rotated.

Upvote 0
Since I have the Air, then I need to find a way to hook a magnet to the back or some way to trigger vehicle mode.

Has anybody tried Tasker for this? I am pretty sure that Tasker has an action to start car mode. (I haven't used the app in years, and don't feel like trying it right now, but I know that we have Tasker people here.)

Upvote 0
OK here goes. I have the unlimited plan in VZW. Plan to keep it. Bought full version of PDA Net so I can tether when I travel. Now I have an annoying screen lock that asks for my password all the time. Can I eliminate this and still use the tethering feature? Thanks

While I can't help with PDA Net specifically, I can say that you don't need it to tether. I tether my tablet to my phone all the time just using the built-in "Tethering & Mobile Hotspot" options, and it hasn't asked me for a password once.

Upvote 0
While I can't help with PDA Net specifically, I can say that you don't need it to tether. I tether my tablet to my phone all the time just using the built-in "Tethering & Mobile Hotspot" options, and it hasn't asked me for a password once.

The built in app will not work with an unlimited data plan unless you pay a monthly fee for a hotspot option, which has a data cap, I believe. I have always felt that if this is so important to you, it must be worth paying for.

Upvote 0
The built in app will not work with an unlimited data plan unless you pay a monthly fee for a hotspot option, which has a data cap, I believe. I have always felt that if this is so important to you, it must be worth paying for.

I like many think that we are paying for it. Paying full price for phones and not seeing a price drop in month to month charges = paying for it. I'm not data hog but I'm not so naive to say that there are not people that are. I use 2-3 GB per month at my greatest consumption because I use wifi at home, work and most everywhere I go. People that use 20, 30 and 50 GB of data per month are the problem as much as Verizon. I see both sides, but to make the statement that if "it's important to you it's worth paying for" is a little short sighted and insulting.

However, knowing that bootladers are locked down tighter than Fort Knox with Motorola and Verizon, if you want the option to not pay extra for it, choosing another manufacturer or another carrier next time might be the best option.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Upvote 0
I see both sides, but to make the statement that if "it's important to you it's worth paying for" is a little short sighted and insulting.

I don't mean to be insulting to anybody. I do think that if something is important to me - if the ability to tether data to my phone was that important - and the carrier gave me a way to do it, then I would pay the fee for it, or I wouldn't pay and then I wouldn't have the service.

Internet tethering must have a value to people who use it. It cannot be valueless or there would be no complaints when it stopped working.

Upvote 0
For me, it was where I was somewhere with my work computer and needed to tether to get access to my work email, or tether at work so I can access websites that my company blocks. Twice a month maybe, so not worth it to pay, but disappointing rather so. I paid $8 for the FoxFi app too. I guess I could try the USB. That's what I did in the pre-JB or was it pre-ICS days when tethering was allowed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones