Ask me anything about the Nexus 5General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrali_87

Mrali_87 New Member

I read battery life is great when the phone is not being used and can drain quickly when it is in use. I have found this to be very true. A lot of people saying the battery life is bad are both right and wrong. It depends how you use the phone.

A frustration I had with my HTC one would be I could go a day in work having the phone out for maybe half an hour on a break and then come home with under 30% battery life. With my n5 I am getting home with 70%+. For me this is really great because when you are near a charger battery life is far less of an issue.

I am gonna pick up a cheap qi charger and have it about the main living room at home.
    shelliewnj likes this.
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

That is incorrect. It does not come with a SIM. You would get that SIM from the carrier of your choosing (T-Mobile, Sprint, or AT&T).

I personally use UberSync for FB (free), but that is just personal preference.
  3. dah328

dah328 New Member

It seems that all incoming texts (including texts to a separate Google Voice number) come through Hangouts, but Hangouts will not send texts from your Google Voice number. Is there a way to change that? I hate receiving all my texts through Hangouts but having to manually switch over to the Google Voice app to reply if I want to use my GV number.
  4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I strangely don't have this issue. However, you can look in two places to see what's up. Voice isn't integrated into hangouts yet so the only option is to revert it back to the G-Voice app. First look in your Google Voice app settings under notifications and see if it's set to receive via voice app or messaging app. If it's set to voice app, then open up your settings in Google voice on a browser. Disable forwarding texts to your mobile number.
    dah328 likes this.
  5. pda96

pda96 Member

Can someone comment on the incoming/outgoing sound quality ? PCMag said sound quality thru the microphone is really bad. Thank you.
  6. dah328

dah328 New Member

Thanks, I forgot this option existed since I set it once way back when I first received my last phone and didn't remember that I would have to set it again on the N5.
  7. dah328

dah328 New Member

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile for the N5 and was pleasantly surprised to find that voice call sound quality was better than with my GNexus on Verizon.
    pda96 likes this.
  8. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

I've only had it for a day and don't get that many calls, but so far it's better than my old phone (which admittedly isn't saying much, but I'm happy with it)
    pda96 likes this.
  9. rimidalvr1966

rimidalvr1966 Member

Delete
  10. shelliewnj

Does anyone know how to get the SMS's to the computer? the MightyText app doesn't seem to work with hangouts :(

Never mind, yes it does.

Nope, it doesn't. It sets up, and you can see the texts on the computer, but you can't respond. So question stands. Is there a way to both see and REPLY to texts on the computer with hangouts?
  11. chukka63

chukka63 Well-Known Member

Hi,had my nexus 5 a few days and lovingggggggggggggggg it.Is Ok google suppose to work just by speaking to it as mine doesn't or do i have to press on the microphone to activate it first ?.This works
    If it is supposed to work straight from me talking to it,do i have to activate it somewhere in the settings and if so how do i activate it.

Thx
  12. shelliewnj

My "OK, Google" works as long as I have the home screen open. I don't have to press anything. Didn't have to activate it. Maybe there's something in settings?
  13. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

I had the Ok google command enabled, but for some reason it's disabled now. Not sure how that happened.
  14. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Set the language to English-US in Google Now. Everything seems to work OK with this set but for now it's the only language that supports "OK Google".

EDIT: You may have to download the language file if your N5 prompts you (can't remember).
  15. chukka63

chukka63 Well-Known Member

thx for the speedy reply.How would changing the langauge to US affect anything on the phone ?.
  16. shelliewnj

It's my understanding that that's the language under which the capability is functional. It's not a part of the other language packs. I'm just repeating what I've heard and what has been my experience.
  17. Rockinfigs

Rockinfigs Well-Known Member

well let me clarify..i know GW works on all carriers as far as adding reward cards and methods of payment..but does the NFC tap to pay actually work on N5 on att network?
  18. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Yes, there's nothing they can do about it anymore with the n5. Its built into the core OS.

They can't not allow it.

ATT and Verizon used to disallow it because they said the secure element it required was a security risk (when actually they just wanted to start a competing mobile payment system). Google went around the block and no longer requires a secure element
  19. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

You can search from the home screen (assuming you are using the stock launcher). But not from lockscreen, or when screen is off.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  20. grunt0300

grunt0300 Well-Known Member

Will the Nexus5 show the internal sd card, if i plug the phone into my MacBook Pro? Can i root it with a Mac? Thanks.:confused:
  21. Rxpert83

I believe there are fastboot tools available for the Mac, so rooting it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as it showing up as a drive, it should, but I have no apple products to confirm.
    grunt0300 likes this.
  22. Rockinfigs

Rockinfigs Well-Known Member

cool thks RX!
  23. poler166

poler166 Well-Known Member

is the nexus 5 being sold by sprint going to be the same model being sold by the google play store? the real question for me, or at least what im trying to get answered is if i put a, lets say a T-Mobile sim in the sprint nexus 5 will it work ?
  24. Rxpert83

Yes. Its the exact same phone. No added bloat or anything.

Its not even sprint branded
  25. AndyGFLees

AndyGFLees Member

Just thought that I would let Nexus 5 buyers in France know that they get some LG earphones in the box! They are reasonable quality and have a mic button - short press for Play/Pause media, long press for access to Google Voice search.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.