• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ask me anything about the Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
......computer won't download its driver in bootloader mode.....
With device connected to PC.
> Computer/This PC (Wins 8.1) > right click
> Properties
> Device Manager
> Other Devices > sub Menu
> Android > right click
> Update Driver Software

May be better to ask in another XDA forum.
(Hope I'm not breaking any Forum rules by my suggestion to elsewhere, if so please delete as appropriate, am just trying to help)

Upvote 0
Just like we did when the latest DROID phones launched, we're here to answer any questions you have about the Nexus 5. Ask away, and expect a response shortly!

Quick question. How do I stop by screen from going off anytime I'm watching a video. No matter what video, web, local it goes off after like a minute. Been looking for how to change that. Thanks

Upvote 0
........... How do I stop by screen from going off......

You Can't.................

The maximum length of time before it goes to sleep is 30 Minutes, shortest is 15 Seconds.

Settings > Display > Sleep (select desired time limitation).

This is a lack of hindsight from Google Developers in thinking that people may wish to have an option of the device NEVER going to sleep. Similar to the thinking that people do not need to have an option to edit/save *My Phone Number* ( if your number is Ported onto the SIM, it will display the original number incorrectly) so Users WILL NEED that option.

As I have repeatedly stated, KitKat is Half-Baked, there are many other issues. When they have full Baked this ROM, they will release it as Key Lime Pie.

Reactions: mrsmumbles
Upvote 0

The maximum length of time before it goes to sleep is 30 Minutes, shortest is 15 Seconds.

This is a lack of hindsight from Google Developers in thinking that people may wish to have an option of the device NEVER going to sleep. Similar to the thinking that people do not need to have an option to edit/save *My Phone Number* ( if your number is Ported onto the SIM, it will display the original number incorrectly) so Users WILL NEED that option.

As I have repeatedly stated, KitKat is Half-Baked, there are many other issues. When they have full Baked this ROM, they will release it as Key Lime Pie.

I didn't even know until you posted and I checked. Hmm. :what:

Upvote 0

I honestly don't see the need for having your screen never turn off.

As far as KitKat being "half-baked", every release has bugs. And they get quashed in the following OTA updates like we just got today

Upvote 0
I honestly don't see the need for having your screen never turn off.

As far as KitKat being "half-baked", every release has bugs. And they get quashed in the following OTA updates like we just got today

It is not about having the need to to keep the screen always On, it is about having the Option if One so desire to manually turn Off and turn On. The freedom to do so rather than not being able to do so; what the US call Liberty/democracy ?

ROM bugs are acceptable when there were no known issues but not acceptable when the developers have not sorted out the already known issues but the Company releases it to Retail anyway due to strategic marketing.

More importantly, hope they've fixed the Hangout APK issue of sending SMS Messages as MMS Messages.................some people with free inclusive texts do not realize that they are paying extra because Hangout was sending as MMS which is not inclusive.

The issue of incorrect "My phone number" in SIM after Porting can be resolved by placing the SIM into a iPhone 4/4S to Edit/Save, confirmed. Thanks to the kind Staff in an Apple Store for helping, whereas O2 Store Staff vehemently refused to even contemplate on the idea for attempting to fix their own SIM issues.
Please note that this is a SIM issue that's supposed to be fixed by the Carrier rather than phone issue to be sorted by the hardware/software producer.

Upvote 0
OTA Android 4.4.2 System Update now available.

"This update improves the Nexus 5 camera with faster shooting (less shutter lag, less motion blur); faster, more accurate focusing; better white balancing for truer colors; and more accurate exposure. The update also includes other bug fixes and performance improvements."

It is very refreshing to know that Google knows and does care, also the fix is promptly available..................

First thing that was noticeable, the Sound is louder, found the "Touch Sound" to be a little too intrusive so had to turn it to off although the other volumes are deemed as improvement; not have sufficient time to determine other changes as yet.....................................

Reactions: mrsmumbles
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones