Asked verizon about rooting

Last Updated:

1. andadroid

andadroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Picked up a car dock today for my droid and wanted to check on my insurance plan. I heard there were two plans and I wanted to be sure I had the bigger one. I do indeed, so I asked what the plan covers. Theft/water damage, accident, etc. It does NOT cover things you do to your phone intentionally. So I had to ask..."what if I'm playing around with different settings, you know hack into it a little, and break it." I was shocked when the verizon tech person said "there's not much to hack unless you want to get root. But I don't recommend it. Android 2.1 was lifted from the N1 and is a little buggy on the droid. Unless you want to tether it it's not worth rooting."

Really surprised she mentioned tethering. Also said that if I they see I have root insurance won't cover it, but I can always try. However a manager was shaking his head behind the counter, so maybe they marked my file or something. Oh well. Just thought I'd share. Usually the tech people have no idea what's going on.

Advertisement
  2. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Say what????

And I want root insurance. How do I apply?

3. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

I'm like 99.99% percent that he meant if they see that you phone is rooted the insurance will not cover it. Root insurance would be sweet though.

+1 for root insurance! :D

4. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

She doesn't quite know what she was talking about. Root gives you access to custom roms (among other things) that have components of 2.1 but they also have many other features (default high quality YouTube, Wi-Fi tethering, overclocking, access to "root-only" apps, etc). The only component of N1 that is buggy on the droid is the 3D Launcher/App drawer, which is something that you don't have to install if you don't want it (you are given a choice when you flash the ROM). Everything else works great, in my experience. Of course, there are many different roms and there is always room for error if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

5. doomedromance

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Lol the misplaced comma strikes again

7. doomedromance

Don't forget the "ATM Machine" error. Haha. But we kid, we kid.

8. rhyno

rhyno Well-Known Member

Unless you are talking about an extended warranty, it doesn't really matter anyways. If you have the asurion insurance and your phone breaks/bricks or whatever, you are going to have to pay the deductible regarless. Just tell them you lost it, pay the deductible and nobodies the wiser.

9. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

WTF were you thinking, why would you ask Verizon about rooting your phone? :confused:

That's like saying, "what if I take my phone apart and mess it up, does insurance cover that?" :rolleyes:

10. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Now when/if your phone actually does break the first thing they are gonna think is "oh he rooted his phone". Snitched on yourself SMH. :rolleyes:

11. phaze3131

phaze3131 Well-Known Member

hahaha why even ask them this???? So they see it's rooted and won't give you a new one... so say ok, go outside find a puddle, submerge it then walk back in and say it has water damage.

12. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

That policy never made sense to me...."I lost it" is a valid claim. So if you screw it up rooting, that's all you have to say and then you even get to keep the "lost" phone for parts.

13. Stik

Stik New Member

Bricked phones because of rooting shouldn't be covered under any warranty. If you develop a factory defect in the phone it should be covered regardless of what software is on the phone. No, internal meltdown due to overclocking does not count as a factory defect :p

14. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

But it could be considered an accident.

15. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

Lol that has got to be the funniest saying ive ever heard on here.... rotflamo

16. brd

brd Member

you know, i wondered about the whole insurance thing. i've made claims with asurion before (twice) and they and the vzw people tell you that asurion wants to hear that YOU ****ed up your phone and that it isnt a manufacturer defect, and if it is a manufacturer's defect they tell you to deal with the manufacturer. so you are allowed to take a hammer to your phone and get the insurance, or throw it off a bridge, so why wouldn't you be allowed to root it and get a new one?

also, did anyone else feel strange about downloading sholes from the android market? that seems like giving the folks at google proof that you are breaking your warranty.

17. andadroid

I didn't ask about rooting--the title is misleading. I just asked about "playing with settings, downloading files, etc." The tech person was the one who brought up root. I was curious to know the extent of "user damage" covered. Basically if you hit it with a hammer it has to have been an accident, not because you wanted to see what would happen if you hit a droid with a hammer. But either way she didn't seem to think it mattered. Rooting isn't covered by insurance and neither is jamming the wrong cable in the charger, it happens and they usually replace it.

18. MYandroidUSERNAME

MYandroidUSERNAME Well-Known Member

thats why you go to sholes.info and download it for FREE...and google never knows.

19. cconover

cconover Well-Known Member

For anybody that bought their Droid at Best Buy and has the Best Buy insurance, there is no deductible if you need to get a new phone on the insurance plan. So like an earlier post said, just throw it in a puddle or run over it with your car, walk into Best Buy and get a new one for no out out pocket cost.

20. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

Hey I was tired and didn't bother to look at who posted. I guess I'll go sit in the corner now! :eek:

21. andadroid

For the record, I have not rooted my phone, nor do I plan to do so in the near future. I was asking about insurance coverage and software/settings/non-hardware user-generated damage. Just thought it might be amusing or somewhat interesting to people who are rooted and are curious about the insurance.

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Only the sholes ROM's give you choices when they install, none of the others do this. When using a real N1 2.1 ROM there is bugs besides the launcher and it tends to run slower then any 2.0.1 ROM's.

23. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

Yes, and the Verizon rep he spoke with made it sound like one had no choice but to install laggy 2.1 based ROMs with root. Of course, she neglected to mention (maybe out of ignorance or maybe to pursuade people from rooting) that there are 2.0.1 based ROMs that run smoothly.

24. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

...or like asking the teacher if it's okay to use your cheat sheet.