• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Asphalt 5 pulled from Market - contravening distro agreement?

Jon Tseng

Lurker
May 28, 2010
An interesting addendum to the Gameloft debate.

I bought Asphalt 5 when if came out on the Market in April. It's now been pulled (presumably connected to Gameloft going to direct distribution). One think I notice is that when I pull up my list of Downloads in the Market application it no longer shows up. Presumably this means I won't be receiving updates on it.

But presumably this also means I cannot reinstall it if I clear some memory / bork my phone / have a horrible experience with the Gingerbread update &tc &tc.

Are they allowed to do this? Isn't one of the reasons I buy on the Market because I know I have the right to reinstall? Let's look at the marketplace agreement which (presumably) Gameloft signed up to: Android.com

Take a close look at clauses 3.6 and 7.1.
1) I have the right to unlimited reinstalls (3.6).
2) Even if an app is taken down by the vendor, my licence rights are unaffect (7.1).
3) There are special cases where an app can be taken down and reinstall rights suspended (if it infringes copyright, is defamatory etc). However if taken down under these circumstances I am entitled to a refund (7.1).

So as I see it taking down Asphalt 5 and denying me my right to unlimited installs contravenes the Marketplace agreement (does anyone else have experience with other paid apps that have been taken down?). And even if the app was taken down because it was dodgy (which I don't think it has done), I should be entitled to a full refund.

I've lobbed a request into Gameloft support to see what they come out with, but I don't hold up much hope.

Regards

Jonathan

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones