1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

assert failed getprop ro.product.device

1. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

I have a replacement Verizon Galaxy Nexus (my original Gnex had a small coffee incident) that I've successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted, but I can't seem to install any custom ROMs. I've tried three different ones and I keep the the error message:

assert failed getprop ro.product.device

I can install custom kernels though. I've tried returning it back to stock and rooting it again. I've tried multiple versions of BusyBox.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
    :
  2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Which custom recovery are you using just out of curiosity?
  3. CaptainRon

I've tried both TWRP and CWM.
  4. jhawkkw

I know it sounds a little needy, but for diagnostics sake, have you asked the sourcery devs if they could make an odin flashable file for you? The other alternative is to open the zip on a computer, extract only the script file in the zip, delete the asset check that keeps failing, then re-zip the script. Move that modified zip back to your phone and try flashing it then.
  5. CaptainRon

Since I have the same problem with JBSourcery, XenonHD and JellyBelly the problem is obviously at my end.
  6. jhawkkw

Since you do have it rooted, have your taken a look to see what the build.prop actually says? Maybe the previous user modified it?
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Sounds like the build prop has the wrong model.

Double check you're installing ROMs made for your device
    CaptainRon likes this.
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides Guide

+1 ^^^ these.
  9. CaptainRon

Sorry, but you're over my head. I don't know if my phone is new or refurbished.
  10. teddyearp

The "build.prop" is a file in /system. If your phone is rooted, use a root file explorer and navigate to /system. Copy, do not move nor delete the build.prop file to your sdcard. Then plug your phone into your pc and copy or move the copy from from your sdcard to your pc. Find, download, and install the free software notepad++. Using notepad++ open the build.prop file on your pc and report back to us what the first say five to seven lines say.

good luck
    CaptainRon and jhawkkw like this.
  11. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

There are also apps in the Market that will display the various property values.

My Android Root Toolkit's first option, "Display Root and Mount Status" will display that information in the first line of output (Device info)...I don't remember what field is what, so I'll reply back in a bit after I search this.

Also, you should be able to do an adb shell getprop ro.product.device from your PC (connected to your phone) or just getprop ro.product.device from the Android Terminal Emulator app to see that particular value.
    CaptainRon likes this.
  12. jhawkkw

I keep forgetting about that terminal emulator app. I haven't used it in so long, since I always do my commands through an adb shell. Good call scary.
    I think I read in another forum that Ron was able to flash sourcery 4.2 through the use of the Rom Manager app. So it might be a moot point in the end.
    CaptainRon and scary alien like this.
  13. CaptainRon

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I was finally able to successfully flash using ROM Manager. I was getting the shakes being on the stock ROM. :D
  14. jhawkkw

Glad it worked out, but it makes me wonder what Rom Manager does differently that allowed it to work. :confused:
  15. CaptainRon

That's true. I don't like problems that just "disappear" and I would like to know what the actual issue was and how to deal with it.
  16. teddyearp

I doubt using Rom Manager had anything to do with it. I think something _might_ have gone wrong with the download of the other roms Ron tried.

Happy sailing Ron!
  17. CaptainRon

Nice thought Teddy, but Rom Manager used the same zip file I'd been trying to flash with TWRP.