• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Assert Failed" on Cyanogenmod 7.0.3

mcollins355

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
I am getting the "assert failed" error when trying to update my DX to Cyanogenmod 7.0.3. This is my first time rooting, and very excited about possibility. I successfully rooted earlier today, flashed the Liberty Mod successfully, and wanted try out CM, but did not have success. Here are my steps, and welcome any replies (even if they start off with, "you dumb a$$..."

1. Started with my Droid X (Vrzn) and OTA gingerbread update
2. SBF'ed it following exact directions from roooler.com by...
2a. Installing drivers from roooler's guide on my laptop
2b. installing RSD Lite 4.8
2c. Installed the 4th SBF file on roooler.com: Android 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340 Full (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01)
2d. Did everything correctly and installed SBF and now went back to Froyo on my DX again (and I always made sure to erase/format cache and data)
3. I installed z4root on Froyo and rooted my DX and now see the app "super user" so I know/think I am rooted
4. Downloaded "update-cm-7.0.3-Droid-signed" and threw it on my SD card on the root directory
5. Again, I followed Roooler.com to a T from the instructions here: Flashing a [ROM] U D G
6. Once I get to step 4 on the above link, where it asks me to

Not an expert, but unless something has changed (which is unlikely with the locked bootloader) then CM7 will not run on the Droid X. It will, however, run on the original Droid. I think this is where you are confused.

Then again, I may be wrong, and they may have somehow gotten it to work on the X, but that would probably be front page news if it actually happened.

Reactions: mcollins355
Upvote 0

Welcome to AndroidForums, mcollins355!

No worries... Love your first paragraph...tells me you have a good sense of humor ;)...kudos to you.

Yeah, I think you're getting the "assert failed" probably because the CM 7 ROM doesn't match the specs / properties that the ROM has built into it to keep you from attempting to flash the wrong ROM on your phone (good of the CM team to make sure they put these type of things in their ROMs).

I'm guessing that we don't have a CM ROM for the Droid X is because CM probably has a lot of tweaks / mods that rely on having a different kernel and that separating their code from the rest of the system stuff would just be too unwieldy. As you might know, the Droid X cannot flash a new/different kernel since the bootloader is locked and all that we can flash are the /system, /data, and /cache partitions.

Hope that helps (good try, though ;)).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome and the excellent replies. I have visited this site so many times, I can't believe I finally registered today.

Quick question than: any mod you recommend for the DX? I liked the professionalism of CM, and loved the speed on the Liberty. But didn't have too much experience beyond that. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones