Assign different notification sound for SMS & Email?

Last Updated:

1. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks, is there a way to assign a different notification sound for SMS & email notifications? I don't really want to have to use a different messaging app just to do this though. Thanks very much.

Advertisement
  2. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

You can set and change your SMS notification by going into Messages > Settings.

You can do the same with e-mail by accessing Googlemail > Settings.

You can enter Mail > Settings and enable notifications for other e-mail addresses, but you can't change the sound in here. I think the phone uses the selected notification sound for all emails.

DCFC79 and Bexy like this.
  3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Tone picker is an excellent app & free, this allows you to easily select music files as your ringtone & message tone it will even let you use music for notification tones.

4. JohnnyBravo1000

I've just done a few tests and I can confirm that the Desire does use the selected notification sound and settings for all emails.

5. UKseagull

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I can change the notification sound for SMS but don't seem to have the option to select a different sound with the mail settings. It just gives the 'use notification' option. :confused:

I'll take a look at Tone picker, thanks for that.

Edit: tried Tone Picker but it doesn't have the right options either, unless I'm missing something obvious?

6. wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2 Member

This worked for me but after a few days I think the custom file became corrupt and is no longer usable. I tried mp3 and wav. Also note the custom ringtone i put on the phone has worked since day one.

7. JohnnyBravo1000

If you go to Googlemail and press Menu>Settings you can customise the notification sound etc in there. That will then be used for other email as well, providing you have the notification box ticked of course! :)

UKseagull likes this.
  8. Jay Z

Jay Z Member

Will this work for hotmail too mate? I really wanna change my notification tone for hotmail email. I am using Exchange for Android 2.x for all my hotmail emails.

Thanks for your help. ;)

9. UKseagull