Assigned ringtones not working.

Last Updated:

1. biglew66

biglew66 New Member This Topic's Starter

I just recently updated my Motorola Droid to Froyo 2.2 and the assigned ringtones are not working. The default ringtone rings for all incoming calls. Just curious of how I can fix this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement
  2. dthurney

dthurney New Member

I have a similar problem - and have seen these same symptoms posted elsewhere without a satisfactory answer.

No matter what ringtone I pick in the settings - the phone always uses a default regular sort of ring - which is frustrating because I did not pick it as my chosen ring and it is not even one of the rings in the default stock choices list.

I had hoped to use my own ringtones and so have downloaded a few that I like and I put them in a folder \sdcard\media\audio\ringtones as suggested on several other posts. Unfortunately these new selections never showed up as a choice. So I downloaded Rings Extended which let's you choose from any folder. Using ringtone extender I can now select and play those other choices from the ringtone settings just fine. I can also still select all of the stock ringtones.

But none of them are actually used when the phone rings - just get the some stupid default. As a professional software developer I am not very impressed that it is this hard to customize a ring tone. Any help is appreciated.

3. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

not really an answer to ringtones not staying selected..... but I can tell you why they arent showing in your list......

try making the path /sdcard/media/ringtones/ dont put an audio folder in there

4. dthurney

dthurney New Member

Interesting tried that without luck - and I notice that my System folder also has \media\audio\ringtones so I am thinking I need the audio

I was able to choose default ringtones again after resetting to factory settings. But nothing shows up other than the defaults. Then Re-installing Ringtone Extender got me back to the same problem. Uninstalling the app got me back to the defaults again. So giving up on that app.

5. hbniner

hbniner New Member

Before I upgraded to the Droid X, I did have the original Droid. When I received the OTA 2.2 update, it messed up my SMS custom ringtone assignments via Handset,changed my custom ringtones I had assigned to my contacts for phone calls and my default notification ringtone. I was unable to change anything back to what I had it originally set to.

I called Verizon and they told me that Motorola is aware of the issue. Motorola will either push a minor update out or wait for the next Android software update (2.3?). They didn't provide me an ETA.

After backing up my data and apps, I did a factory reset and all was good. I hope this helps.