• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Assist App causes phone to ring in a strange ringtone.

jbird68

Dec 4, 2013
OK. I dropped my phone last Sunday at church. It was in my leather pouch and not a far fall. Nothing broke but now when I am driving or in a meeting and the phone rings, the ringtone is all garbled and won't stop until I actually hit the home button to cancel out of it. It rings as normal when not in Assist mode. I tried to uninstall Assist but I could only uninstall the latest update since Assist came pre-installed on my phone. What would cause the phone to ring abnormally when the Assist is active.

I don't think it has anything to do with your drop. There was a recent update to the Google search app that has messed up the Assist app on Moto phones (the 2013 X and the 2013 Droids). It's a known problem.

There is one solution until Motorola updates the Assist app: go into settings / apps, find the Google app, tap it and tap "uninstall updates". (If you are using the Google Now launcher, you will have to make another launcher the default in order to uninstall updates.) Then do not allow any updates to the Google app from the Play Store until there is an update to the Assist app from Motorola (they are reportedly working on a fix.)

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones