Assorted GPS tests

Last Updated:

1. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys, for those having GPS issues and willing to do some experimenting I would like to open this thread.

First test I am attempting is on the involves changing from hot start default to warm start and is aimed at the bug on assistance xtra/cache sticking. For this test please leave GPS on and wireless network location off.

Go to GPS setup menu with *#1472365#

Tehn proceed ---> "setup" ---> "position mode" ----> "starting mode" and change from "hot start" to "warm start".
    (there are interesting xtra data and other settings htere but leave everything there but hot vs warm unchanged.)
    If you have been experiencing the bug where GPS works fine but later in the day or next day it refuses to lock outdoors, please attempt this test and let me know your findings over the next few days. my preliminary findings are this helps.

I am leaving my second epic as a control and I am also checking changing the way xtra data is handled, and xtra data validity is checked on a third handset but would like you to test just warm start over a few days.

Advertisement
  2. Aero1

Method failed at 6hrs since last fix. eight seen, none in use. with device reset fix attained immediately 10 seen nine in use .

3. Aero1

OK modifying to cold start completely fixes the main aGPS bug. But it does introduce a longer TTFF in standalone GPS, ie when you have no network or roaming data connection available an initial fix will take longer since enabling cold start flushes cache to of new ephemris and anmanalc.

But in all tests on cold start enabled Epic GPS fix was withing 3 to 4 seconds and exploited 7 to 10 satellites in use each time. Two control units on Samsung defautls hot start had trouble obtaining fixes later in teh day absent reset.

I am moving on to look and test other changes in settings, specifically xtra settings