• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Asurion and EVO wait time feedback...

I've filed for an EVO twice. First time lost my phone and was sent a brand new in box EVO about 2 days after filing request. Second time dropped the brand new EVO that was sent from asurion about 4 days after getting it. Cracked the screen and was sent a refurb that has horrible light leakage.

Too bad I didn't get the refurb first, oh well, at least it wasn't an iphone that I would have to completely buy a new one!

Upvote 0
Has anyone had any luck reaching an actual human being at Asurion? After submitting a claim online my claim status has said the following since Saturday: "Your Claim is currently being processed. Please check back in 24 hours". The phone number on their website (1-800-584-3666) leads me to an automated dead end.

Upvote 0
So I got my evo on launch day, I have never had a problem with it at least hardware wise. I have never dropped the thing and last Thursday it slid off my desk and dropped a few feet and the screen cracked. It must have hit just in the right spot because it didn't land very hard.

After I dropped it I started filling out the insurance claim and thought well maybe sprint repair could just put a new screen on it since the rest of the phone seems to be ok. So I bring it over to sprint, the guy looks at it and says they should be able to put a new screen on and tells me to come back in an hour. I come back to the store later to pick it up expecting a new screen and the guy comes out and says when he took it apart one of the ribbon cables was broken. So he wrote on the repair ticket refer to insurance and says oh by the way the screen won't turn on anymore but the phone will still ring.

So if I just would have finished the insurance ticket like I started doing I would have at least been able to use it till the new one came. I have a hard time believing the cable was damaged when I dropped it since the phone worked fine. I wasn't mad at the guy but I was frustrated.

Anyway Asurion said the evo is on backorder which is pretty awesome. Has anyone got there evo replaced recently from Asurion and if so how long did it take? They told me like 5-7 days but who knows, I go to check it online and it just says come back in 24 hours. The evo has been out since June and I can understand maybe they are backordered for a few months after they have been out but come on. They should have these in stock or am I being unreasonable? I know it's my fault but I'm not to happy about the back order.

Attachments

• evo.jpg
    evo.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
So I got my evo on launch day, I have never had a problem with it at least hardware wise. I have never dropped the thing and last Thursday it slid off my desk and dropped a few feet and the screen cracked. It must have hit just in the right spot because it didn't land very hard.

After I dropped it I started filling out the insurance claim and thought well maybe sprint repair could just put a new screen on it since the rest of the phone seems to be ok. So I bring it over to sprint, the guy looks at it and says they should be able to put a new screen on and tells me to come back in an hour. I come back to the store later to pick it up expecting a new screen and the guy comes out and says when he took it apart one of the ribbon cables was broken. So he wrote on the repair ticket refer to insurance and says oh by the way the screen won't turn on anymore but the phone will still ring.

So if I just would have finished the insurance ticket like I started doing I would have at least been able to use it till the new one came. I have a hard time believing the cable was damaged when I dropped it since the phone worked fine. I wasn't mad at the guy but I was frustrated.

Anyway Asurion said the evo is on backorder which is pretty awesome. Has anyone got there evo replaced recently from Asurion and if so how long did it take? They told me like 5-7 days but who knows, I go to check it online and it just says come back in 24 hours. The evo has been out since June and I can understand maybe they are backordered for a few months after they have been out but come on. They should have these in stock or am I being unreasonable? I know it's my fault but I'm not to happy about the back order.
Same boat, hopefully means they have to order new ones. Still, I want my phone.

Upvote 0
If your screen worked when you brought it in and didn't when you picked it up, then it sounds like the dolt behind the counter broke the ribbon when he took it apart, and I would raise a bit of a stink about that because he just made your phone unusable with the delay in getting it fixed/replaced. Don't let him off the hook if he damaged your phone beyond usability and tried to play it off like it happened when you dropped it.
I come back to the store later to pick it up expecting a new screen and the guy comes out and says when he took it apart one of the ribbon cables was broken. So he wrote on the repair ticket refer to insurance and says oh by the way the screen won't turn on anymore but the phone will still ring.

Upvote 0
If your screen worked when you brought it in and didn't when you picked it up, then it sounds like the dolt behind the counter broke the ribbon when he took it apart, and I would raise a bit of a stink about that because he just made your phone unusable with the delay in getting it fixed/replaced. Don't let him off the hook if he damaged your phone beyond usability and tried to play it off like it happened when you dropped it.

Yea I was going to put up a little more of a stink when he gave it back to me but I didn't wanna deal with it. My guess is he broke the cable when he took it apart but there is no way for me to prove that. The phone worked perfect after I dropped it and it dropped on one of those plastic chair runners which sat on thin carpet. I wish I would have just filled out the claim and never brought it there I would have much rather used it with a cracked screen vs my old A940. It is way too late to say anything now as I would have had to say something right away but like I said there would have been no way for me to prove it and the guy did try fixing it and if they could have replaced the screen they prob would have did it for free. The guy was a bigger guy looked like he has done it a bunch of times especially the way he talked to me about it. He didn't seem like a moron so whatever. Hopefully I just get a new one, I sure miss my evo more than I thought I would.

It just sucks cause I have never dropped the phone ever since I have had it. I guess once is one time to many, oh well. I guess that is why you have insurance.

Upvote 0
well I've taken apart a lot of electronics and am normally very careful. But I've broken a ribbon or two. It happens. If you had it powered on lit up for him when you took it in, you'd have a case. But if you didn't have it on, then it's definitely his word vs yours. Also it's possible to tell if the damage to the cable is in the right spot where he would've separated the screen or the casing or what not.

I'm picking up a Shift for my second line just to have it handy. Would be nice to ditch the Pre altogether and be able to have a complete clone at the ready if my Epic goes down. Good luck.

Upvote 0
well I've taken apart a lot of electronics and am normally very careful. But I've broken a ribbon or two. It happens. If you had it powered on lit up for him when you took it in, you'd have a case. But if you didn't have it on, then it's definitely his word vs yours. Also it's possible to tell if the damage to the cable is in the right spot where he would've separated the screen or the casing or what not.

I'm picking up a Shift for my second line just to have it handy. Would be nice to ditch the Pre altogether and be able to have a complete clone at the ready if my Epic goes down. Good luck.

Yea hindsight I should have handled it different, if it ever happens again I will take your advice for sure.

Upvote 0

I placed my Asurion claim on Saturday, 1/1 and it gave me the same backordered 5-7 days message. I had a brand new in the box EVO on Wednesday, 1/5. My tracking page said "check back in 24 hours" until late Tuesday night but then it updated with a tracking number and I received it the next day.

Upvote 0
I filed my claim on September 11th (a Saturday) and got it the following Wednesday. Brand new in box. Everything working perfectly, but I have an Epson screen now instead of the Novatech I originally had which saddened me a bit. Nice to have the extra charger tho. :)

Same here (Epson now, Novatec before) But after looking at them side by side, I like the Epson better. Does not have the purple tint to it.

no. the refurbs will come on the same plain box as any other refurb'ed phone.

I've had two replacements from Asurion, both of which were new, and both came in same box as a new EVO.

Also, both shipped same day order was placed.

Upvote 0
Fed EX just dropped off my evo! Put a claim in on Jan 6th and got it Today Jan 13th. I lucked out and got a brand new one in box. (I guess lucked out might be a stretch since it sounds like a lot of people have been getting new ones, but I didn't have my hopes up) Hardware version 0004 so I am pretty happy. I would have been pissed if they put me on backorder and then sent me a crappy refurb but since they were waiting for a new shipment I'm way fine with that. The phone came loaded with latest software version, I don't see any light leakage. So props to Asurion for sending me a new one. Also I didn't get a tracking number till super early this morning they e-mailed it to me. They did overnight it, so that was very nice. I will be filling out there comment card leaving high remarks.

Upvote 0
I lost mine and filed a claim and they sent me one the very next day, BUT....it was refurbished and really crappy! No haptic feedback, flimsy power button, etc...called them up and explained this, they sent me a brand new one sealed in box with charger, etc.. the next day and told me to return the refurb!
Quite happy with Asurion.... hope they would make deductible $50 and not $100 though...oh well

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones