• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'd be pissed also, while it's not there fault that the Incredible is out of stock they shouldn't try to offer you a lesser product.
But again what else can they do, maybe offer you a Droid or something along those lines.
I don't think your request for use of the Eris as a loaner was a bad one, I think that is a completely resonable request.

Even offering a Droid would have been better than the Eris... there are probably even some blackberry or WinMo phones that I would consider as comparable (but wouldn't really want them) before offering the Eris, lol.

And I'm not trying to bash on Eris. I started my Android journey with Eris. It just wasn't all I expected, so I went to Moto and then to DInc.

Upvote 0
I actually don't blame you for being a dick. I recently (aka 2 weeks ago) had to file a claim, I originally did it online only to see that back-ordered icon show up. So I called and they gave me the usual bull and after pushing enough, they magically found the file that said a shipment was coming in tomorrow and they would send me one right away. Why they couldn't just tell me I had to wait a day in the first place I don't know. But pushing the envelope sometimes can have a desirable result.

Best of luck getting a new incredible soon!

Hopefully your replacement won't have a pink hue like mine did :(

-Flawless

Upvote 0
Don't feel bad. I dropped mine and broke the screen in early May and I waited FIVE WEEKS for a replacement from Asurion. They gave me great customer service and I got exactly what I pay for. They offered, after week 3, to let me go buy one at retail, fax them the receipt, and they would cut me a check for the balance minus my deductible. Even though I couldn't find one at retail, that was above and beyond what they had to do for me.

After this, I will ALWAYS have Asurion coverage if it's available.

Upvote 0
Glad you got a "new" one coming. I am a new Verizon customer and noticed my local store "fluctuates" in levels of customer service. One manager bends over backward to help you out and make you feel informed and comfortable while the other wouldn't wizz on you if you were on fire. Talks to you like you are an idiot and TELLS you what you want. Overall though, it is a good store minus the one boner manager.

Upvote 0
Glad you got a "new" one coming. I am a new Verizon customer and noticed my local store "fluctuates" in levels of customer service. One manager bends over backward to help you out and make you feel informed and comfortable while the other wouldn't wizz on you if you were on fire. Talks to you like you are an idiot and TELLS you what you want. Overall though, it is a good store minus the one boner manager.

Yep, that's mostly been my experience, but not with individuals in the store, just between stores. For instance, in order to get my Incredible, I added a line and gave our oldest phone to my oldest daughter to use and my wife got my Droid. Then, we switched the phones between numbers so the wife and I could keep our numbers. Long story short, we never got the option to continue insurance on the older phones. When checking online, I saw that it was indeed not carried over. So, while out, I went to a Verizon store about 10 minutes from my house and explained the situation. They told me they could put the insurance back on the oldest phone (env3) but not on the droid. I told him that was ridiculous as he could see that I had the insurance prior to switching the numbers between phones and that the Droid was obviously the newer phone. He said I'd have to call Asurion but that they would tell me the same thing.

So, I went to another store 5 more minutes down the road. I was initially told the same thing, but when asked why the insurance would not have carried over the rep told me that I should have checked the box for insurance. I told him the box didn't come up but that I remember it being there other times we've switched phones around. He said it must be a glitch in the system but there wasn't really anything he could do. I told him that that wasn't really fair as a glitch in their system could potenially cost me $500 or more. So he took all of two minutes and added the insurance to the account for the two older phones.

Now... why all the fuss. He should have just done that in the first place. These people can do more than we think or they let on, if they care to. Some are just lazy.

Upvote 0
Comparing everything, price and specs the Eris is by no means comparable. 1.6 vs 2.1, 3MP vs 8MP, XXXMB vs 1 GHz

FYI the Eris has had 2.1 since the end of May.

Otherwise I agree. No comparison.

I have used Asurian several times over the years (I have a teenager, need I say more) and the customer service has always been superior.

Upvote 0
So yeah.... dropped my Incredible (again) while exiting the waambulance this morning. Well it fell out of it's holster. Anyway, now the screen doesn't work.

Sooo... I go online with Asurion to file a claim. The Incredible is backordered and not available. They say that if I want to wait it will be 7-10 days, maybe more, maybe less. Or, I can get a comparable model. I asked what was comparable. Their reply: "We can offer you an HTC Eris." I explained that the Eris is a downgrade that I could not even find on Verizon's website right then. I asked if they could send me an Eris to use until the Incredibles are in stock. He said no, of course. This was "Advanced Customer Service" and they would not let me go any higher. They did suggest that I go to a Verizon store and ask about a loaner phone.

I ended up hanging up on the Guy after ranting about paying my 7.99 a month and not getting the promised service. He said the service is replacement with the same or comparable model which started the rant about the Eris not being comparable and he arguing that the only difference between the two was the camera megapixels.

So, yeah... I'm a dickhead for hanging up on him but he really pissed me off.

So now I'm on my way to Verizon so they can tell me they don't do loaner phones.

Thanks for listening. Just needed to blow off some steam.

Yeah there is no need to yell at the person on the line they cannot help the phones are out of stock contact HTC and bitch they are the ones who cannot make the phones fast enough

Upvote 0
I have always gotten amazing service at the store that I go to, be it the reps or the managers. Never once had a problem. And for the most part they know their stuff. Guess I have the good store! ;)

When my fiance and I finally settled on the DINC's, we went up to the store for one last play with them and to order. The rep explained that we were also eligable for an extra $50 off online promotion, bringing the phones to $99.99 each. We agreed to just go home and order them ourselves, not a big deal to save $100.

We get home and the extra $50 won't come off. I call back and speak to the guy and he said he would have the manager call ASAP. Manager calls back and said that actually only the primary line was eligable for the extra $50 but because of the confusion and the fact that they already promised it he would push it through for us. He did everything for us and we just went back in the next day to pick up the recepit (they were billed to the account) and the rebate forms.

All and all, I was extremely impressed.

Upvote 0
I had insurance through Asurion a few years ago but dropped it when I found out about the loopholes they had. Had a phone (Razr2) insured with them, after two weeks I was coming out of a nice air conditioned basement of a hospital and it was July and about 85 degrees and humid. Went to turn my phone on (had no service in the basement so didn't want to waste the battery) and it came up with a blue screen. Tried rebooting, a battery pull, no change. Took it into the store and they said the water damage stickers had been tripped and neither they nor Asurion would replace anything with water damage. So 2 weeks into a 2 year contract and I was back to my old phone. Ended up selling the Razr for parts and didn't use insurance again.

When I got my Incredible I figured I'd better get some insurance so I decided to look around and found that I was able to get insurance under my homeowners insurance. It's through a subcarrier named Inland Marine and it's for property that will be leaving the home that's insured like laptops, guns, etc. I pay $18 a year and have a $100 deductible for $600 of coverage. I asked what it did and didn't cover and they said it won't cover normal wear & tear, software issues, or electrical problems. They said just about anything else would be, like dropping, crushing, water damage, etc. All I need to do is bring it to my insurance agent so he can document the damage/ condition and they will cut a check for $600. It's cheaper than Asurion, I am assured of getting a new device (buying it retail), and if something is better I can switch without being hassled by Verizon (again as I would be buying it retail). Definitely something to consider!:)

Upvote 0
I had insurance through Asurion a few years ago but dropped it when I found out about the loopholes they had. Had a phone (Razr2) insured with them, after two weeks I was coming out of a nice air conditioned basement of a hospital and it was July and about 85 degrees and humid. Went to turn my phone on (had no service in the basement so didn't want to waste the battery) and it came up with a blue screen. Tried rebooting, a battery pull, no change. Took it into the store and they said the water damage stickers had been tripped and neither they nor Asurion would replace anything with water damage. So 2 weeks into a 2 year contract and I was back to my old phone. Ended up selling the Razr for parts and didn't use insurance again.

When I got my Incredible I figured I'd better get some insurance so I decided to look around and found that I was able to get insurance under my homeowners insurance. It's through a subcarrier named Inland Marine and it's for property that will be leaving the home that's insured like laptops, guns, etc. I pay $18 a year and have a $100 deductible for $600 of coverage. I asked what it did and didn't cover and they said it won't cover normal wear & tear, software issues, or electrical problems. They said just about anything else would be, like dropping, crushing, water damage, etc. All I need to do is bring it to my insurance agent so he can document the damage/ condition and they will cut a check for $600. It's cheaper than Asurion, I am assured of getting a new device (buying it retail), and if something is better I can switch without being hassled by Verizon (again as I would be buying it retail). Definitely something to consider!:)

which asurion did u have because the plan i have with them covers water damage. twice before my phones got water damaged and they replaced them so maybe you had a different plan?

Upvote 0
One thing I like about Asurion is they cover loss: stolen and lost. I used up my claims for losing it twice and having it stolen once all in a year.

Verizon was kind enough to give me a very early upgrade so I didnt have to get a new phone at retail.

Verizon CS was very good the times I had t deal with them. One time I didnt even have insurance and they offered to fix my phone for the deductible if I had the part that was broken off. Unfortunately I didnt...

Upvote 0
which asurion did u have because the plan i have with them covers water damage. twice before my phones got water damaged and they replaced them so maybe you had a different plan?

That's a good question. My fiance got his old phone replaced through them when he accidently left it in his pocket while swimming in the ocean :eek:

Upvote 0
I have used Asurion at least three times (that I can remember) the last few years, and every single time they delivered exactly what they promised. When I had to replace my EnV Touch last year, they even sent me an extra battery and AC charger, and told me to keep mine and just send in the phone. Extra battery and charger? Not bad.

For some reason if I'm going to destroy my phone, it's always within two months of getting a new one. I almost jumped in the river with my DINC a few weeks back, got water on (and some in) it from splashing back out when I remembered it was in my pocket (I was obviously drinking a little) and it didn't work for a couple of days. Sealed bowl of rice for two days and it's like new... glad I didn't have to file a claim.

There is no phone comparable to the Incredible that they could possibly have in stock for VZW. It's not their fault. You have 60 days after the incident to file with Asurion (I believe). Get a loaner from VZW, they will gladly give you one. This is why I always hang on to my previous model when I get a new phone, it's free and takes ten minutes to change over service (although using the EnV Touch after the DINC was hell for those two days).

Upvote 0

It was either $4.99 or $5.99 a month for that Razr2. There really wasn't different plans to choose from, just did you want insurance or not. Maybe their smartphone insurance (around $8.99 that they have now) does cover it. But still the insurance I have is cheaper and covers that stuff (plus theft or loss if you file a police report like Asurion requires), and like I said previously I am assured of either a new phone or the ability to switch to a different phone because they cover the retail cost of the phone. Plus I won't have to extend my contract by buying it retail.

Upvote 0
It was either $4.99 or $5.99 a month for that Razr2. There really wasn't different plans to choose from, just did you want insurance or not. Maybe their smartphone insurance (around $8.99 that they have now) does cover it. But still the insurance I have is cheaper and covers that stuff (plus theft or loss if you file a police report like Asurion requires), and like I said previously I am assured of either a new phone or the ability to switch to a different phone because they cover the retail cost of the phone. Plus I won't have to extend my contract by buying it retail.

Yikes! Just to point out quick-

It's only $6.99.
- The $8.99 is for the $2 surcharge if you want the "extended manufacturers warranty" which is a waste of money because it doesn't actually kick in until the 2nd year and only covers manufacturer defects. I recommend saving the $24 a year and avoiding this.

Also, Asurion doesn't require a police report. I reported mine stolen and they didn't ask any questions. It also covers water damage.

What it doesn't cover is cosmetic damage.

That's nice that you get $600 bucks though :)

Upvote 0

Asurion doesn't require a police report....And covers Water damage.

I had to get my Dare replaced about 6months ago because It was like monsooning here and i had my Dare in my pocket, well water got into the screen and screwed it all up. Called Asurion, paid my 50$ ded and got my phone the next day.

About 3 weeks later the speaker went out in the phone..called Asurion they replaced it for free got my new Dare the next day(I also now have three battery and 10million home chargers.)

Upvote 0
Got the new phone in around 9am... it is a refurb but looks, feels and operates like brand new. Definitely happy, so far.

For those who can't read, I did not yell at anyone, but I was definitely less than nice to the guy at Asurion. Maybe "rant" wa a poor word choice. But, regsrdless, everything was fine and i probably would have waited for the Incredible. But, things went down hill only after being offered a "comparable" phone that has been discontinued and is in no way comparable if I chose not to wait.

For those that think it's acceptable to offer a subpar replacement when your promise to customers is to offer something comparable, I have to disagree... maybe they should say they don't have anything comparable to the phone rather than try to pull something like that on an unsuspecting consumer. I don't think joe or jane blow off the street would be happy when they try out their new Eris after having the Incredible. It just is not acceptable, in any way. As well, not having anything comparable but advertising and selling something based on your assurance that you do is also wrong.

Upvote 0
Asurion doesn't require a police report....And covers Water damage.

I had to get my Dare replaced about 6months ago because It was like monsooning here and i had my Dare in my pocket, well water got into the screen and screwed it all up. Called Asurion, paid my 50$ ded and got my phone the next day.

About 3 weeks later the speaker went out in the phone..called Asurion they replaced it for free got my new Dare the next day(I also now have three battery and 10million home chargers.)

This is for both Nasphreak and jamor. I should've said I was on insurance twice. When I first signed up, it was around 2003, I had lost a phone for a couple days (phone was off so I couldn't call it). At that time it was around $4.99 to $5.99 a month with a $49.99 deductible for a dumbphone like I had. When I called in to see what they could do I was told I'd have to file a police report to get the process started. I didn't want to do that so I just activated an old phone and then found it after a couple days. That incident was when I went through with the csr about what the policy would be able to do for me.

When I put it on my Razr2 I just added the insurance, I don't remember what they were charging for it at that time, and since that was about 3-4 years ago & I only had it for two weeks I can't remember what it actually was at that time. I only know that when I talked to both an in store and telephone csr they both told me that Asurion didn't cover water damage. Was it possible they just didn't want to go through the process? Maybe. I only talked to those two csrs, so maybe if I had kept calling I might have gotten a more receptive csr. My bad for not pursuing the issue.

If Asurion does all that now that's great, but with the plusses I get by going through my homeowners insurance and it being cheaper, I will stick with that. But for people who don't have that option with their insurance, Asurion would be a good alternative.

Btw, I always keep my old phone as a backup in case something like this happens as well. I've got about 4-5 Moto flips phones incase I or anyone I know have issues with our phones, we have something to get us by until a resolution and/ or upgrade.

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones