Asus Nexus 7 Charging ProblemsSupport

1. Marky B

Marky B New Member

I've only had my Asus Nexus 7 tablet for two weeks, and I'm already having trouble with it. It used to charge pretty quickly, but now it charges extremely slowly. I left it charging in sleep mode for 5 hours and it had only gone from 15% to 35%. When I charge and use the tablet it actually slowly loses power, around 2-3% per hour. I'm using the cable and block that came with the tablet, the block is plugged directly into the wall and there don't seem to be any issues with the pins in the charging port that I can see. According to the Battery menu, the screen is using 67% of the power and mediaserver is using around 16%. All other applications are using less than 3% of the battery. I've already changed the display to the minimum brightness to reduce display usage.

It's really frustrating to constantly have my tablet plugged in to charge when I'm using it, and even when I do, I still lose power. What's going on with this thing? I'm on the verge of taking it back and getting another tablet.

Advertisement
    :
  2. repoman123

repoman123 Member

My nexus 7 also charges really slow, not sure if it is as slow as yours though. I'm sure I've read many people are having this problem.

It's a pretty awesome tablet so would be a shame if you had to take it back.
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

I have moved this thread into the Nexus 7 forums to get some better assistance.

Hope this helps, but it sounds like you might just have a bad tablet. I would suggest calling the manufacturer about it and see about getting a replacement.
  4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i have noticed the micro-usb plug .. it is deeper than my other phones. and it does not fully connect.

so check if your plug is fully seated. so that it can charge.
    make sure you are using the micro-usb cable that came with nexus.. i think it is a little longer to reach in the plug.
  5. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

A full charge from near-zero should take around 3 hours. It sounds as if either your N7 or the charger is faulty. Note that a third party charge may take a lot longer. My old iPad 2 charger is very slow at charging my N7 even though it's supposedly a 2A charger like the ASUS one.

If you turn the N7 off does it charge any faster? I ask in case you have a rogue app that's using a lot of battery power.
  6. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

Restart it then check running apps and stop any games that are running, you have maybe three apps that are always running, Android keyboard, google services, Settings.
  7. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

if you use a different charger...and it does take a little longer to charge... say 5 hours,
    would that mean it is a little less harsh (wear and tear) on the battery? better for a little longer life for the battery? guessing for a 15% - 30% longer lifetime.
  8. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

Yeah a slower charge is supposed to prevent lithium metal transfer to the electrodes from too fast a charge rate. Allows more time for the ions to travel through the electrolyte of the battery. It also generate less heat in the circuitry thus keeping the tablet cooler. Also since there is no cycle memory associated with lithium batteries I like nicad and some nickel metal hydride it's best to keep the battery charged and not let it cycle from full to empty since there is a physical expansion and contraction of the battery when it charges and discharges, the less range of charge you put on the battery, the less it expands and contracts thus reducing the physical wear on the plates.