At my wits end. Why is my LG Esteem so slow compared to Wife's stock Esteem?

1. McVerry

McVerry Member

Hi there,

Long time lurker & Android user, first time poster to this forum.

Background
    I bought my Esteem in December of 2011. My wife bought hers in January of 2012. Right from the start, my Esteem was having the random reboot problem, while my wife's was not.

The Problem
    As a result of my random reboots (and because I'm a nerd), I rooted my Esteem and have been playing around with various roms, kernels, and Overclocking with SetCPU over the past year.

The problem is, my wife's bone stock phone is still noticeably faster than mine. It's not faster in benchmark tests as my overclocked processor kills hers, but it's faster in the to day usage.

For example, with both phones on a fresh reboot, and doing the best I can to touch the "contacts" button on both phones at the exact same time, her's comes up instantly with no delay, while mine has a very slight lag to it. It's not much but it's noticeable in the day to day usage. I can only describe it as her phone registers the touch and opens the app instantly, while mine registers the touch, **thinks for 50 milliseconds** then opens the app. This happens when I run tests between both phones on almost every application they share- gmail, contacts, messaging, "menu". I am sure to test stock apps when doing this.

My current setup is ZVD, with ROM Number Two (#2) 2.4, and the Speed_Unlshd_1.3 kernel, overclocked to 1.7

My wife's phone is bone stock.

The only thing I could think of is there's slight internal hardware differences of components so slight LG never mentioned them. Does anyone have any clue what this can be? I am willing to go so far as to post videos of my test processes to see what the community thinks- maybe even donate my phone for investigation if I can get a replacement.

Advertisement
    :
  2. DrHangman

DrHangman Well-Known Member

Odex vs Deodex maybe?
    McVerry likes this.
  3. McVerry

McVerry Member

These terms are new to me, can you please explain what they mean?
  4. dden4012

dden4012 Well-Known Member

What's the difference in battery life between the two. You probably don't have as many apps loaded to RAM as your wife's phone ( the kernel you run keeps your RAM free by killing apps running in the background per the script it reads ). And yeah odexed vs deodexed is a factor in speed from what I understand.
    McVerry likes this.
  5. McVerry

McVerry Member

Battery life is better on the stock Esteem even when my esteem is not overclocked, however it's pretty close. I'm a heavy user while my wife isn't so it's hard to to tell exactly. I'll run some more scientific tests tonight and report back.

I've done some odexed vs deodexed googling and learned the differences. Can anyone suggest a good odexed rom similar to #2? I'm really loving that rom. I'm open to changing kernels too.

Thank you all for your responses, all you guys really are great.
  6. dden4012

dden4012 Well-Known Member

I have been trying a lot of different rom/kernel combos and have decided PG's plague ROM with ldriftas stock kernel to be a good combo. No issues at all. I flash the rom, factory reset while in recovery, flash kernel and done.
    Edit: by stock kernel I mean the one without tweaks, just root. Is your esteem running ZVB or ZVD firmware. Did you do the LG update?
    McVerry likes this.
  7. skrapmetal

skrapmetal Well-Known Member

On a clean install, have you tried moving nonessential apps to SD? And/or freezing the ones you don't normally use? That freed up speed and responsiveness for me.
    McVerry likes this.
  8. McVerry

McVerry Member

I really have no apps to free or move. I have very few apps at all on my phone and have made it a point to not install memory hogs (Facebook, Skype).

I've also gone through and debloated all the crapware that came on the phone from metro. I usually have quite a bit of free memory >150MB.

My wife has done none of this to hers.
  9. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

In the real world there is really a minimal difference between odexed and deodexed roms, I highly doubt that that would fully explain the difference between the two devices.