• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root At my wits end!

labnjab

Jan 21, 2010
I posted this over on XDA and droid-eris.com but need all the help I can get so I wanted to see if anyone had and help on this site too.

My fiances phone has been force closing a lot lately aka com.android phone not responding. I saw the first force close when I tried flashing Tazzs cm7 on his phone so thats when I first put on gsb 1.2
I switched his over to Sheds GSB on the 8th and it was great everything was fine but then I decided to try to improve on a few settings and when I restarted the phone it decided to start force closing.
I reflashed the rom and the gapps and everything seemed fine but then I wanted to put cs skull theme on his phpne since we had it on Kaos v9 but then when I restarted the phone after flashing the theme it force closed again.

So then I reflashed the rom and gapps again and got all his apps and settings all back how he had it and decided to do a Nandbackup so that we wouldnt have to keep reflashing the rom again and once I restarted the phone after the nandbackup it force closed again.

Long story short I reflashed the rom and gapps and now am in the process of getting his apps and settings back how he had it once again.

Am I doing something wrong to make it keep force closing? I would like to make a nandbackup at least for him so that we wont have to keep setting up his phone.

Thank you for any help

Update on 2/21/11 it force closed again when he restarted his phone. Its working fine now but I know if he restarts it again he will be stuck. He needs his phone to be reliable again and dont know how to fix this. Going to try and format the sd tonight thats one of the things I have yet to try.

I posted this over on XDA and droid-eris.com but need all the help I can get so I wanted to see if anyone had and help on this site too.

My fiances phone has been force closing a lot lately aka com.android phone not responding. I saw the first force close when I tried flashing Tazzs cm7 on his phone so thats when I first put on gsb 1.2
I switched his over to Sheds GSB on the 8th and it was great everything was fine but then I decided to try to improve on a few settings and when I restarted the phone it decided to start force closing.
I reflashed the rom and the gapps and everything seemed fine but then I wanted to put cs skull theme on his phpne since we had it on Kaos v9 but then when I restarted the phone after flashing the theme it force closed again.

So then I reflashed the rom and gapps again and got all his apps and settings all back how he had it and decided to do a Nandbackup so that we wouldnt have to keep reflashing the rom again and once I restarted the phone after the nandbackup it force closed again.

Long story short I reflashed the rom and gapps and now am in the process of getting his apps and settings back how he had it once again.

Am I doing something wrong to make it keep force closing? I would like to make a nandbackup at least for him so that we wont have to keep setting up his phone.

Thank you for any help

Update on 2/21/11 it force closed again when he restarted his phone. Its working fine now but I know if he restarts it again he will be stuck. He needs his phone to be reliable again and dont know how to fix this. Going to try and format the sd tonight thats one of the things I have yet to try.

Sounds like you've done something wrong. Did you a full wipe before flashing GSB? Did you do a nand backup before you did this?

Upvote 0
I did do a full wipe and dalvk wipe before I flashed it to his phone. I did a nand back up to kaos v39 but now when we try to go to a previous nandbackup it still does the force close thing.

I'm not too good at trouble shooting. Give it a little time and when the big fish start stirring you'll get your answer.:D

Upvote 0
labnjab,

I don't have any specific information regarding a fix for your problem, but apparently ANRs (application not responding) errors have trace information written to /data/anr/traces.txt (although I can't vouch that this is true in all ROMs or versions of Android--its just something I found in a Google search of com.android.phone).

Additionally, you could use the ddms utility in Android SDK to look at the logcat errors that are being reported before and during your FC / ANR condition. If you are unfamiliar with the SDK or the ddms.bat tool, then you could install the aLogcat app (free in the Market) to see what is going on (its a great little app...a must-have for developers).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I reflashed the rom and the gapps and everything seemed fine but then I wanted to put cs skull theme on his phpne since we had it on Kaos v9 but then when I restarted the phone after flashing the theme it force closed again

For one thing, don't flash the cs skull theme. Just because it works on KF - a Froyo ROM - it doesn't mean that it will work on a Gingerbread ROM.

Has your friend moved any apps to the SD card on Kaos using the built-in apps2sd? Moved any apps to SD using GSB?

Upvote 0
For one thing, don't flash the cs skull theme. Just because it works on KF - a Froyo ROM - it doesn't mean that it will work on a Gingerbread ROM.

Has your friend moved any apps to the SD card on Kaos using the built-in apps2sd? Moved any apps to SD using GSB?

Yes I learned that the skulls theme had to be made for gingerbread to work with gingerbread.

He has not moved any apps on either rom to the sd. He had plenty of space so he didnt feel the need to move anything.

Upvote 0
labnjab,

I don't have any specific information regarding a fix for your problem, but apparently ANRs (application not responding) errors have trace information written to /data/anr/traces.txt (although I can't vouch that this is true in all ROMs or versions of Android--its just something I found in a Google search of com.android.phone).

Additionally, you could use the ddms utility in Android SDK to look at the logcat errors that are being reported before and during your FC / ANR condition. If you are unfamiliar with the SDK or the ddms.bat tool, then you could install the aLogcat app (free in the Market) to see what is going on (its a great little app...a must-have for developers).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I'll have to give that app a try. Will it show whats wrong even if the phone isnt doing the fc issue?

Upvote 0
I'll have to give that app a try. Will it show whats wrong even if the phone isnt doing the fc issue?

The logcat viewers (there's several of them, I just happen to use aLogcat and ddms.bat when I'm at home on my PC) show you the messages that are displayed / reported by the various apps and system processes (messages of all types--not just errors). There's no guarantee that they will report / point-out a smoking gun, but oftentimes, you can get a feel for what else is happening at the time, and there might be more information reported in the logcat stack trace than what is reported to you on your screen (i.e., due to obvious screen-space limitations).

It might tell you something useful and its totally innocuous.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones