• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At&t 4g

Jus10

Dec 30, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Some new 4G devices were announced and threads were created for those devices, but no one's made mention at all about the new AT&T 4G network. So I guess we can discuss that here.

Nation’s fastest mobile broadband network getting faster with 4G
We operate the nation's fastest mobile broadband network today, according to independent testing, and it's getting faster in 2011 with 4G. We are the only U.S. company with announced plans to deliver 4G using both HSPA+ and LTE technologies – providing a faster and more consistent experience for our customers. We plan our initial LTE deployment in mid-summer, and announced today that we are accelerating our LTE network build and expect to be largely complete by the end of 2013.

Additionally, we have completed our deployment of HSPA+ to virtually 100 percent of our mobile broadband network, which enables 4G speeds when combined with Ethernet or fiber backhaul. We are rapidly expanding Ethernet and fiber to cell sites nationwide – adding new cell sites weekly – and by yearend expect that nearly two-third of our mobile broadband traffic will be on expanded backhaul. Today, we are already seeing 4G speeds on our existing HSPA+ network with enhanced backhaul in areas of key markets. In these areas, we are seeing network speeds up to approximately 6 Mbps and we expect these speeds will increase as we accelerate our LTE build and further deploy expanded backhaul.

“Today our customers are benefitting as we repeatedly increase speeds on our mobile broadband network,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO–Mobility and Consumer Markets, speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. “As we accelerate our LTE network build, our customers will have blazing-fast LTE speeds, and when they go off LTE, they will still have faster mobile broadband speeds with HSPA+, something our competitors will not be able to match.”
De la Vega said our network roadmap will distinguish us as the industry moves towards 4G/LTE technology over the next several years. He spoke at our Developer Summit, held annually in conjunction with CES in Las Vegas.
Additional information available at www.att.com/network.

So I'm guessing AT&T's new slogan will be "The Nations Fastest Mobile Broadband just got faster." LMAO.

But it combines HSPA+ (same that T-Mobile uses) ontop of LTE (same as Verizon.) AT&T did a good job not jumping the gun like they did with 3G.

We were the first to release it, the bad news was our competitors saw our coverage and decided to cover the areas we didn't. Finally AT&T did the reverse. They waited, and it was worth the wait. The combination of services means that you will alway be connected to the fastes networks. When you fall out of one coverage, you have another 4G Network to default to, or a 3G Network running speeds up to 7.2 MBPS. :eek:

Very good news for AT&T if you ask me.

I am so torn between the Inspire 4G and Atrix 4G.

Inspire 4G- LOVE HTC Sense and all those new features make it better BUT hardware doesn't match that of the Atrix

Atrix 4G- better screen (DHD resolution), DUAL CORE processor, ONE GB OF RAM, ffc (not big but nice) BUT MOTOBLUR (tho LauncherPro Plus can make that less of a problem) and locked bootloader (not too big a deal as I can still get root and debrand it myself but no custom ROMs).

Upvote 0
I just bummed that I literally JUST GOT my Captivate, which means I'm SOL on the Inspire. I want it. I want to spend money on it. But being a married man, my wife doesn't understand the spending of money on better technologies and just flat out wont let me. Maybe I should just start setting money aside. I doubt she'll tell the difference. It's only bigger... ah. I can only dream.

Upvote 0
If you literally just got it, you can return it for your $ back right?

I could, but then I wouldn't have a phone to use until we release 4G and the Inspire. I can't wait that long.

P.S.
I have nothing but love for the Captivate, but I'm reading alot of hate on Samsung in general in a few other threads... seriously, why do people not like Samsung?

Upvote 0
I could, but then I wouldn't have a phone to use until we release 4G and the Inspire. I can't wait that long.

P.S.
I have nothing but love for the Captivate, but I'm reading alot of hate on Samsung in general in a few other threads... seriously, why do people not like Samsung?

Haters wanna hate I had the captivate and now the Nexus S both awesome phones

Upvote 0
Jus10

To be honest... a lot of it is sorta unfairly placed.

People get on at&t.. who have a track record for botching updates that aren't iphone..

Samsung has a track record of not updating phone's..

So now that others are getting froyo... everyone who didn't look at the past behavior of the two companies are getting all mad because, they are doing exactly what samsung and at&t always do...

Come out with a great product.. and fail to fix flaws which really shouldn't be a big deal in the first place.

Also.. a lot of people are mad that to get a lot of things on the captivate fixed you have to use custom roms or root it..

However, at least you CAN root the captivate and fix it... I mean.. the devs redeem the phone in a lot of ways.. but, the truth is.. I am not holding my breath on ANYTHING at&t releases involving android.

I may end up going and getting a captivate tomorrow.

I could keep using my neon.. but, being realistic.. who knows when at&t is going to release a newer more solid phone?

And once new phones start really rolling out.. odds are it will just be a repeat of "in another month X comes out!"..

Upvote 0
Jus10

To be honest... a lot of it is sorta unfairly placed.

People get on at&t.. who have a track record for botching updates that aren't iphone..

Samsung has a track record of not updating phone's..

So now that others are getting froyo... everyone who didn't look at the past behavior of the two companies are getting all mad because, they are doing exactly what samsung and at&t always do...

Come out with a great product.. and fail to fix flaws which really shouldn't be a big deal in the first place.

Also.. a lot of people are mad that to get a lot of things on the captivate fixed you have to use custom roms or root it..

However, at least you CAN root the captivate and fix it... I mean.. the devs redeem the phone in a lot of ways.. but, the truth is.. I am not holding my breath on ANYTHING at&t releases involving android.

Honestly, it is Samsung's fault for all the GPS issues. That whole issue is just ridiculous.

I may end up going and getting a captivate tomorrow.

I could keep using my neon

If you end up getting the Captivate tomorrow, you will most likely end up returning here and complaining that you bought a bad phone that will just be replaced anytime. I mean, no flash or front facing camera plus many bugs? Is that something you really should purchase?

who knows when at&t is going to release a newer more solid phone?

Well, their 2011 Q1 ends in April so by then. Realistically, the HTC Inspire will be released in February and the Atrix will follow shortly, most likely February or March with the Samsung Infuse being the last to be released.

And once new phones start really rolling out.. odds are it will just be a repeat of "in another month X comes out!"..

Well, there will not really be an upgrade for the Atrix for at least a year. Only thing would be an HTC device but they are using a different processor that is not even released yet but that would not even be much better than the Atrix.

Upvote 0
If you end up getting the Captivate tomorrow, you will most likely end up returning here and complaining that you bought a bad phone that will just be replaced anytime. I mean, no flash or front facing camera plus many bugs? Is that something you really should purchase?
If I don't need a camera and the bugs are fixable withing an hour..

is it really that big of a deal.

Well, their 2011 Q1 ends in April so by then. Realistically, the HTC Inspire will be released in February and the Atrix will follow shortly, most likely February or March with the Samsung Infuse being the last to be released.

I hope for my sake your right.

Well, there will not really be an upgrade for the Atrix for at least a year. Only thing would be an HTC device but they are using a different processor that is not even released yet but that would not even be much better than the Atrix.

I hope so.

I still don't see a solid release date.. so its still all conjecture.

Upvote 0
Hey Fox, if you want the Captivate, I'd wait for the newer 4G Galaxy S. I know the hardware isn't a big deal to you, but its 4G mang! Don't do what I did and wait 2 more years to get it... by then we'll all be on 5G. Lol

I live in louisiana

The rest of the world will be on 6g by the time we get 4 g :/

New orleans may get 4g soon..

But, lets be real here...Especially where I live in louisiana.. I doubt I will be getting 4g anytime soon.

Besides i"m on freaken EDGE right now.. with a keyboard that is killing my thumbs.

Another possible 4 months with this crap is annoying..

I am really doing my best to convince myself its worth the wait..

But, really its a gamble no matter what.

To be honest... I am asking myself what will the newer hardware be able to actually do over whats out already?

11 hour battery life while surfing wifi is a HUGE incentive to wait out for the atrix..

But, outside of battery life not much real incentive to not go for capt :/

I'm colorblind, so to be honest the prettiest screen in the world isn't going to make a huge difference over a regular amoled..

I'm not totally colorblind but, I'm not nearly as picky on screens as other people get.

I would opt for the Motorola defy if it was on at&t right now just for waterproof nature.

Upvote 0
Lol att doesn't even have a3g network how the hell do they have a4g network.oh wait, they don't.

Well, they have 3G pretty well covered where I live, though no carriers seems to do that well from keeping dropped calls (this is mainly a geographic issue though). Where I go to school, though, AT&T is better than any other carrier and has great speeds. I wouldn't say they have 4G by my standards but, according to recent rulings, they have a 4G network that is a lot better than T-Mobile's.

Upvote 0
Lol att doesn't even have a3g network how the hell do they have a4g network.oh wait, they don't.

IOWA what the hell are you talking about AT&T's 3G network blows your tmobile too weak to penetrate buildings 3G away, and by the the supposed 4G that tmobile is spouting is HSPA+ which is the same thing AT&T has already in most markets and will roll out LTE in mid 2011 (true 4G) totally finished in 2013. So where's Tmobiles LTE OH WAIT THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!

Upvote 0
IOWA what the hell are you talking about AT&T's 3G network blows your tmobile too weak to penetrate buildings 3G away, and by the the supposed 4G that tmobile is spouting is HSPA+ which is the same thing AT&T has already in most markets and will roll out LTE in mid 2011 (true 4G) totally finished in 2013. So where's Tmobiles LTE OH WAIT THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!

And your still bragging about something thats not out yet.

Calm down man...

Upvote 0
I live in louisiana

The rest of the world will be on 6g by the time we get 4 g :/

New orleans may get 4g soon..

But, lets be real here...Especially where I live in louisiana.. I doubt I will be getting 4g anytime soon.

Besides i"m on freaken EDGE right now.. with a keyboard that is killing my thumbs.

Another possible 4 months with this crap is annoying..

I am really doing my best to convince myself its worth the wait..

But, really its a gamble no matter what.

To be honest... I am asking myself what will the newer hardware be able to actually do over whats out already?

11 hour battery life while surfing wifi is a HUGE incentive to wait out for the atrix..

But, outside of battery life not much real incentive to not go for capt :/

I'm colorblind, so to be honest the prettiest screen in the world isn't going to make a huge difference over a regular amoled..

I'm not totally colorblind but, I'm not nearly as picky on screens as other people get.

I would opt for the Motorola defy if it was on at&t right now just for waterproof nature.

There are a couple of reasons why I would chose to wait. For one, the Samsung build quality isn't the best as you may know. HTC's is a lot better and I personally love the Sense UI (I know you will be rooting though). My main reason is that it will be more future proof. The Atrix will easily last me for two years and it will be able to handle all sorts of new apps that will be released without being bogged down.

On another note, if you are on edge currently, you may be getting 3G soon as AT&T is currently switching that 850mhz band to 3G.

Upvote 0
And your still bragging about something thats not out yet.

Calm down man...

I'm not bragging just pointing out ignorance. If you have the gaul to claim that an inferior network has 4G and your ignorant enough not to know that you sound like a tool while being a tool, then someone should point it out. Most guys in this forum don't go around whipping out their proverbial penises but everytime theres an AT&T discussion tmobile guys jump in with their smart comments and unfounded logic and its getting old. Like I was told once if you don't like what the topic is about don't just troll it to disparage the people in the thread. If your gonna whip it out at least know what the hell your talking about

Upvote 0
There are a couple of reasons why I would chose to wait. For one, the Samsung build quality isn't the best as you may know. HTC's is a lot better and I personally love the Sense UI (I know you will be rooting though). My main reason is that it will be more future proof. The Atrix will easily last me for two years and it will be able to handle all sorts of new apps that will be released without being bogged down.

On another note, if you are on edge currently, you may be getting 3G soon as AT&T is currently switching that 850mhz band to 3G.

Also correct AT&T is converting all 850mhz to 3G with 1900 as backhaul and then they will overlay the 850 with 700mhz for the LTE. The areas with no 1900 will be told that their 2G phones will no longer work as the 850 will be completely used for 3G with the 700 coming later as LTE

Upvote 0
I'm not bragging just pointing out ignorance. If you have the gaul to claim that an inferior network has 4G and your ignorant enough not to know that you sound like a tool while being a tool, then someone should point it out. Most guys in this forum don't go around whipping out their proverbial penises but everytime theres an AT&T discussion tmobile guys jump in with their smart comments and unfounded logic and its getting old. Like I was told once if you don't like what the topic is about don't just troll it to disparage the people in the thread. If your gonna whip it out at least know what the hell your talking about

Very true.

Reactions: AndreaCristiano
Upvote 0
Also correct AT&T is converting all 850mhz to 3G with 1900 as backhaul and then they will overlay the 850 with 700mhz for the LTE. The areas with no 1900 will be told that their 2G phones will no longer work as the 850 will be completely used for 3G with the 700 coming later as LTE

Is it the 700mhz spectrum or is that the block Verizon bought? Or was it that Verizon bought block C of the 700mhz spectrum and AT&T bought block D perhaps?

Upvote 0
Is it the 700mhz spectrum or is that the block Verizon bought? Or was it that Verizon bought block C of the 700mhz spectrum and AT&T bought block D perhaps?

with the spectrum blocks from earlier that the gov sold I dont recal how the split went they both bought a portion but last week AT&T bought the 700MHZ spectrum from now defunct floTV so they basically doubled their spectrum

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones