• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T announces the Captivate!!!

No front camera for one. Plus the fact that it's a different phone. We have different categories for the aria and the legend don't we?

And we have separate locations for the Galaxy's i.e. galaxy, spica, portal, and so on.

Its a different phone. Its not even a galaxy. Its a Captivate with specs like the galaxy s with an uglier casing not to mention don't expect root or installing unsigned apps because AT&T doesn't allow that.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...I wonder if the comment about root is true. I guess it depends on how different it really is. If it cannot be rooted, then I want to look elsewhere.

I think the comment about root is probably more born out of frustration. As far as AT&T not allowing phones to be rooted, that hasn't stopped iPhone jailbreaking at all, and towards the earlier comment about lack of interest due to a smaller distribution, the EVO's been rooted and that's is a Single US carrier phone as well. As long as there is a demand and people with the skill, it'll get rooted.

My speculation is that the Captivate is the same phone as the Galaxy S, with only a different casing and some AT&T firmware and tweaks (and maybe no front facing camera).

Upvote 0
My speculation is that the Captivate is the same phone as the Galaxy S, with only a different casing and some AT&T firmware and tweaks (and maybe no front facing camera).
Pretty sure this is the case. The update to Samsung's event on the 29th that was sent around to the journos yesterday stated that Samsung was about to show off the next generation of a class of smartphone. It'll include the Captivate, the vanilla/Euro/T-Mob version, & the Pro.

Upvote 0
Cool.

I'm interested in the Pro, and if it may be avaliable for AT&T some time. But all I've seen is it is destined for Sprint.

I'd sort of like to have the original Galaxy, but it appears that it's not available with both of AT&T's 3G frequencies. Not sure I need to pay the difference between purchase vs. subsidized anyway.

Anxious to get this in my hands. My old Tilt is breathing hard. Need to give her a rest.

Upvote 0
The shape of the samsung captivate looks too much like the Sony Ericsson x10:
Sony-Ericsson-X10-announced.jpg

and the Garmin/Asus phone:
garmin-asus-nuvifone-g60.jpg

and there both UGLY.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones