• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] best AOSP-based ROM? (stable)

GuitarG20

Clueless Senior Member
Jun 23, 2012
Texas
As the title says. As I sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for 4.1 JB to be released to us poor peasants that had to get a AT&T locked version, I am considering more and more rooting and jumping ship to a AOSP-based ROM. What are the best ones out there? are they stable?

keep in mind i'm mostly trying to get feelers out there: I don't have time to reset my phone right now, much less root and flash a new ROM. But i'm still curious. The only one I've really heard about is cm and it's still nightly builds for my phone (which is apparently code-named evita) so I'm curious what other AOSP builds out there there are and if they run better/improve battery life (which is what i'm really looking for)

I'm not sure about the evita, but I found AOKP more stable than CM on my Tegra 3 version.

Because the Cyanogen guys allow their code to be used by others, there are a lot of tweaked versions out there that contain fixes the official versions don't.

For the most part though, outside of few minor niggles, both CM10 & AOKP were fine as Daily Drivers. Once they reach Release Candidate Status/they're based on a proper JellyBean kernel, I'll probably go back. I only switched back to Sense/ICS because battery life and the camera were much better.

I've said it before, I'm very pro root so I'd definitely recommend going for it and giving it a whirl at some point.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones