• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AT&T "Bloatware" getting in your way? Delete some of it!

Upvote 0
Are you sure?

From: http://matrixrewriter.com/android/titanium_backup_changelog.txt

As of 3.6.1.1...
"- Enabled defrosting for everyone."

Unless he meant freezing was still a pay-feature, but unfreezing could be done by the free version... which makes no sense.

All I can say is that when I tried to freeze an app it popped up with a message that this option was available with the donate version only.

The renaming method seems a pretty good option for us cheapskates. And it looks as if it does aid in battery life. I lost less than 10% overnight compared to the usual 25%. More observation needed though.

Upvote 0
Guys, slow down

To all of you that deleted the ATT bloat, do you have stock ROMs? Are you expecting to get the Froyo OTA? Nearly EVERY android phone, if you delete ANY system apps, you are never able to get another OTA update until you put all the APKs back in /system/app and then reset the UNIX permissions correctly. You should NEVER delete or uninstall system apps if you ever want to get OTAs again.

What you should do is FREEZE the apps so you can still get OTAs using Titanium Backup PREMIUM or Bloat Freezer, both available in the market.

Hopefully most of you haven't already done too much damage and can restore your APKs before the update that is coming!

Reactions: sremick
Upvote 0
I am trying to rename the ATT bloatware .apk files to .tmp
I have Froyo 2.2 AT&T Stock. Rooted. Busybox installed.
When I attempt the mv command to rename the .apk files to .tmp extensions, I get a reply failed on ... -Read-only file system
I recall doing this on my Captivate when I had Android 2.1 with no problem. Now I'm trying to do it with Android 2.2.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I am trying to rename the ATT bloatware .apk files to .tmp
I have Froyo 2.2 AT&T Stock. Rooted. Busybox installed.
When I attempt the mv command to rename the .apk files to .tmp extensions, I get a reply failed on ... -Read-only file system
I recall doing this on my Captivate when I had Android 2.1 with no problem. Now I'm trying to do it with Android 2.2.

Any suggestions?
Are you using Root Explorer or something like that to do the renaming? Make sure the system is mounted R/W or Read/Write. Switch it back to Read Only, or R/O, when you're finished.

Upvote 0
Are you using Root Explorer or something like that to do the renaming? Make sure the system is mounted R/W or Read/Write. Switch it back to Read Only, or R/O, when you're finished.
I am using adb shell and the Android SDK, like it was described in the very first post of this thread. I also have the donate version of Titanium Backup and I know I can use a number of tools it offers to freeze or otherwise remove the bloatware. But I like the straightforwardness of simply renaming the .apk files to .tmp so that it's an easy process to reverse. I will look into Root Explorer as another means to access the root file system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones