• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T CEO Says Blocked Deal Mean Higher Prices (I knew it would happen)

Rico ANDROID

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
In Cell Phone SIMetery
I knew it would happen. Now the CEO finally publically announce that the blocked deal will mean higher prices for customers.. As usual, we were lead to believe one lie after another from ATT claims that the merge will generate over 90 thoisand jobs to their claim that ATT has taken the 39billion into consideration and no higher rates will be passed onto customers if the deal didnt go through.

All of such were just fluff talk to make the proposal look sweet. Well, how much more should we continue to believe. Get ready fellow ATT cusomers, we are in for a bumpy ride!

Click Here to read more

it cost a lot of money to maintain and grow a nationwide network. do you want it for free?? if so, will you work for your company for free? I didnt think so.
Verizon's cost will be going up soon also.

it will take much longer than 5 years for voip cell phones on wifi, plus it has major drawbacks. Apple wanted to be their own communications company by doing wifi only phones.
The man responsible for the shape of the wireless industry worked with Apple for a few years on this idea, as you can see it did not come to be.
you can do a search for this on your own....

James

Reactions: Pepe7698
Upvote 0
it cost a lot of money to maintain and grow a nationwide network. do you want it for free?? if so, will you work for your company for free? I didnt think so.

it will take much longer than 5 years for voip cell phones on wifi, plus it has major drawbacks. Apple wanted to be their own communications company by doing wifi only phones.
The man responsible for the shape of the wireless industry worked with Apple for a few years on this idea, as you can see it did not come to be.

James

As usual, you miss the point. Re read the discussion. This has nothimg to do with years down the road and understood increases in services as busimesses normally do.

To help you , this has to do with the smoke att was feeding FCC "assurimg that no rate hikes" would be passed on to customers in "this" specific deal should the merger flops.

.....moving on..

Upvote 0

James

You are right, that's why I think it will be come to pass. Out country needs to do this just like the rail roads, clean water, electricity, and land line phones...it's just the way of the future. And it puts Americans back to work building out the infrastructure.

I remember when there was no cable company. How hard it must have been to wire up America :)

Upvote 0
I knew it would happen. Now the CEO finally publically announce that the blocked deal will mean higher prices for customers.. As usual, we were lead to believe one lie after another from ATT claims that the merge will generate over 90 thoisand jobs to their claim that ATT has taken the 39billion into consideration and no higher rates will be passed onto customers if the deal didnt go through.

All of such were just fluff talk to make the proposal look sweet. Well, how much more should we continue to believe. Get ready fellow ATT cusomers, we are in for a bumpy ride!

Click Here to read more

Remember AT&T = Evil and I can live with that. This is why I left Sprint becasue they say LTE wont be limited...not.

All the cell phone carriers are price fixing. I think data caps and cloud computing are oxymoron

Upvote 0
As usual, you miss the point. Re read the discussion. This has nothimg to do with years down the road and understood increases in services as busimesses normally do.

To help you , this has to do with the smoke att was feeding FCC "assurimg that no rate hikes" would be passed on to customers in "this" specific deal should the merger flops.

.....moving on..

no i did not miss the point, but i have yet to find anything about at&t saying the rates would NOT increase if the deal did not go through. I have searched and searched, so please share the info.

did at&t blow smoke, yes, but not near as much as everyone wants to believe.

Upvote 0
AT&T is just the easy target in this little drama. Everyone is quick to wave the evil mantra at a company. Companies exist to make money, no other reason. It is a simple cost vs benefit equation, if the costs outweigh the benefits, then profits go down. The recent experiments with added debit card fees is a perfect example of a market correcting itself. The question everyone should really ask is of AT&T is so horrible, why do they continue to prosper when so many other options are available. Profit is not a dirty word.

Upvote 0

James

Sure, it does cost a lot of money to maintain a network. But when all the execs. are taking record paychecks/bonuses EVERY YEAR, and EVERY YEAR they break record profits, I don't think there's much of a problem "maintaining" their network.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0

Click Here to read more

Are we not allowed to switch carriers anymore? It's not like they are going to raise your rates in the middle of your contract.

Upvote 0
Are we not allowed to switch carriers anymore? It's not like they are going to raise your rates in the middle of your contract.
...sound just like an attwirelessforum response.

Switching isnt the question here...the fact that att lied to fcc that "there would be no increase should the deal fail" is what is being brought up... Att told fcc what they thought wouls sweeten the deal and the moment it failed, the first thing out of the ceos mouth was...were passing this on to the customers...

and they can ammend their contracts and terms at anytime they wish. "best practice" should dictate at the beginning of a new contract or renewed service...

Upvote 0
I have searched and searched, but have yet to find any article or statement that confirms your claim that AT&T promised not to raise rates. In fact, every article I encountered stated the obvious, that the $4 Billlion fee would almost definately be passed onto the customers. This leaves me w/ two conclusions, either your memory is photographic, or your "google fu" is much stronger than mine. If you do have that article, I would most definately like to read it.

I am an AT&T customer, and have no intention of switching; regardless of what it says. I just want to satisfy my curiousity. When it really comes down to it, I find AT&T competively priced for the services I recieve.

Upvote 0
I have searched and searched, but have yet to find any article or statement that confirms your claim that AT&T promised not to raise rates. In fact, every article I encountered stated the obvious, that the $4 Billlion fee would almost definately be passed onto the customers. This leaves me w/ two conclusions, either your memory is photographic, or your "google fu" is much stronger than mine. If you do have that article, I would most definately like to read it.

I am an AT&T customer, and have no intention of switching; regardless of what it says. I just want to satisfy my curiousity. When it really comes down to it, I find AT&T competively priced for the services I recieve.

Competitively priced? Who are you trying to kid here lol..

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Iowa, for what I pay for th 4 phones on my plans: my GS2, 2 Blackberries & 1 Captivate, I recieve service that I consider appropriate. I do not, nor see myself in the future searching for an alternative carrier. Sprint connections are spotty when I travel out into the middle of nowhere (which is a lot of places in TX), T-Mobile also has less than desirable reception in the areas I frequent & Verizon is no cheaper, or in my opinion any better coveage wise. Again, these are my personal experiences; you mileage may vary.

Rico, you continue speaking of documentation yet are reluctant to provide any. I understand it is easy to be anti AT&T (or any random corporation, for that matter), but at least prove what you are puporting to be fact. I am not asking for a 30 page dissertation w/ footnotes, just one link to where you say AT&T officials stated what you say.

Upvote 0
You are absolutley correct in painting AT&T as a giant company out for a profit... why else would a company exist. It amazes me that people expect a company to operate at a profit margin they find acceptable and no higher. I am not bothered by the fact that anyone at AT&T doesn't know my name. They provide me w/ a service that I pay them for; nothing more.

Upvote 0
You are absolutley correct in painting AT&T as a giant company out for a profit... why else would a company exist. It amazes me that people expect a company to operate at a profit margin they find acceptable and no higher. I am not bothered by the fact that anyone at AT&T doesn't know my name. They provide me w/ a service that I pay them for; nothing more.

The discussion is not about corporate money making and what people expect out of a company.. Simply put, Again, its about ATT false statement during the specific FCC process where att "stated" no customer repercussions should the deal fail...and right away, as soon as the deal was scrapped att did a 180.

Maybe start another discussion about att corp practices and "long run" charges.. This discussion simply about the "now" and what att said that placed them in another false statement.

Reactions: RoboMonkey
Upvote 0
I have searched and searched, but have yet to find any article or statement that confirms your claim that AT&T promised not to raise rates. In fact, every article I encountered stated the obvious, that the $4 Billlion fee would almost definately be passed onto the customers.

link to your findings please. I can't find any that say the fee wiil be passed on. :D

I have found where the CEO said rates for tmobile customers would stay the same "after spending 39billion". AT&T CEO: "I Don't See Why" T-Mobile Customers' Rates Will Go Up After Sale - The Consumerist

But nothing saying oops we didn't get the deal now you the customer have to pay us back for the stupid deal that fell through.

Upvote 0
Hi Robomokey

The article was on AT&T'S own FAQ site. I know because I commented on it on attwirelessforum saying how "confident" att was back when this news hit the air in March 2011.

This link (
Click here) goes to a subsequent article that took me to the att.com faq page. I had this bookmarked since March 2011.

And yes, true to atts practices where they can ammend their terms in mid-stream (thats for another folder thread discussion and not here), att has taken down their faq page..

For those who cant research, I will look up more info and see if ive saved the faq f or references.

Upvote 0
Iowa, for what I pay for th 4 phones on my plans: my GS2, 2 Blackberries & 1 Captivate, I recieve service that I consider appropriate. I do not, nor see myself in the future searching for an alternative carrier. Sprint connections are spotty when I travel out into the middle of nowhere (which is a lot of places in TX), T-Mobile also has less than desirable reception in the areas I frequent & Verizon is no cheaper, or in my opinion any better coveage wise. Again, these are my personal experiences; you mileage may vary.

Rico, you continue speaking of documentation yet are reluctant to provide any. I understand it is easy to be anti AT&T (or any random corporation, for that matter), but at least prove what you are puporting to be fact. I am not asking for a 30 page dissertation w/ footnotes, just one link to where you say AT&T officials stated what you say.

Well first and foremost, service quality comes first. I agree with that completely. But just like rural areas where DSL/Cable modem isn't available, that doesn't make the alternatives competitively priced. For instance, noone in there right mind would consider Satellite internet competitively priced, and neither is AT&T.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones