• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At&t crippleware

I don't see what the power of the device has to do with it. A blogger has reportedly loaded a rom built from the Motorola-released source code for the Backflip (which undoes the damage AT&T's developers did to it.) I've also seen reports that Motorola plans on undoing some damage when they release 2.1 sometime this quarter. I actually have one of these "crippled" phones you're talking about, and I don't find it to be crippled at all. I'll kindly thank ANYONE without a Backflip to stop ragging on the thing - it does a fine job.

Upvote 0
Woah woah woah peace!

I actively encouraged my girlfriend to get this phone and it is in the mail now. And I would most likely buy one right now if I could afford it/the data package.

I have an e71x and loved it despite it being "crippled" so I have some idea where you are coming from enjoying a phone despite it not being the "original".

I am by no means trying to bash the backflip itself.

The reason I mention power of devices is because, the more functional device is (sorry functionality and power aren't the same, Poor choice of words is a fatal flaw of mine). The more flexible it becomes. The more flexibility devices have the more we can do with them. In this case remove whatever software was added that is unwanted, or add features that were taken out.

To be honest I am not even 100% sure what has been modified by at&t. However, the e71x had several features removed that would have been nice to have.

I knew the e71x had been crippled, I still got it. I know the backflip has been crippled, I still would get one in a heart beat. Its my understanding they prevent non market apps from being downloaded among a few other issues.

However, please try to understand my outrage on the subject. I am an avid supporter of all open source software so for at&t to *get* this phone, then cripple it is completely against the point of open source in general.

Upvote 0
The point being made is that this phone is crippled. And let's face it the hardware could be better. We shouldn't have to root and/or break the phone to get functionality which is normal in all other systems. AT&T is so in the Iphone mindset that they basically want to turn their android phones into little hybrid iphone babies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones