[AT&T] CWM or TWRP won't take!

Last Updated:

1. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Can't really explain what happened but I have tried to flash both TWRP and CWM but neither seems to have taken. I choose to reboot into recovery and it goes to the htc screen, freezes for a minute then reboots normally. Any ideas? I am rooted and I did the htcdev unlock.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Do you have the Tegra 3 or S4 version?

Did you get any error messages when you flashed or did it appear to go through normally?

Connect the phone to the PC, open a command prompt, navigate to your fastboot folder (if you downloaded the fastboot files from HTC, there should also be an adb.exe file) and type the below:

Code (Text):
    1. adb reboot recovery
    Does that take you to recovery?
    Bugler1 likes this.
  3. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Sorry, forgot to clarify. The AT&T version, so I assume S4.

I got no errors. It appeared to go in normally.

I tried that command and it did the same thing. HTC screen for a moment with the red warning under saying not to distribute the build then it restarts normally.
  4. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

As an aside, when I first flashed the TWRP, I got it to boot into that recovery just once when the computer automatically restarted the phone after flashing. I can not get it into recovery again since then. I've tried reflashing twrp and different versions of CWM all to no avail. Trying to do a manual recovery boot or from CWM Rom Manager. Nothing seems to do the trick.
  5. El Presidente

Bugler1 likes this.
  6. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Manually but I will try that tool now and report back
  7. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

That seemed to have worked. I have no clue what I could have been doing wrong. Strange. Well, you are my savior! TWRP is just as good as CWM right? I was used to CWM on my Note but I don't really need to use ROM Manager... that's for noobs anyways right? Haha

Any big differences I need to know about?
    El Presidente likes this.
  8. El Presidente

Excellent, glad you've sorted it! :)

I've pretty much always used CWM on all my handsets, it does the job for me, so I don't see the reason to change (at the moment anyway). I suppose functionality is the same, just the UI is different? I'm led to believe the S4 One X (I've the Tegra 3 version) prefers TWRP so I'd stick with that.

And yeah, ROM Manager is sort of defunct nowadays, it's handy but I still prefer doing things manually.
    Bugler1 likes this.
  9. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Well thank you! I'll be hanging on to TWRP since it's the one that worked. I will also shed Rom Manager cause I am no NOOB! Haha

I'm gonna try Android Revolution... I like stock Sense for the most part, but we shall see what this does for me.
  10. El Presidente

Is ARHD available for the AT&T variant?
    Bugler1 likes this.
  11. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Wow! Good catch. I hadn't read through the posting about it. No, not yet. Darn. I'll be checking for a different one until it comes out. Thanks for saving me again!
  12. El Presidente

NPs!

CleanROM is a very popular one by all accounts.
    Bugler1 likes this.
  13. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

I'll check it out. I do like the clean look of stock. I'd just like to be able to cut down bloat ware and maybe do a bit of overclocking. But I wanted something that used sense 4.0. Soon!
  14. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

I put on cleanrom and I do like it. Do you know of a kernel i can flash that I can overclock? I saw beastmode but it apparently is only for the previous firmware.
  15. El Presidente

I'll take a look when I get home.

Not a massive fan of overclock though. I thought the S4 version was blazing fast anyway?
  16. Bugler1

Bugler1 Member

Thanks. Really it's more to just fool around a bit and see what it can do, but not absolutely necessary. I like clean by the way but I hope revolution comes out soon.