AT&T data plan policies

Last Updated:

1. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

So today I got the dreaded text message that for my convenience I was upgraded to a smartphone data plan from my dumbphone one. I am not very happy about my data cap, especially now that we have free tethering, so here is where I'm at now.

My sister has an iphone that has the unlimited data plan. I called AT&T asking to switch our data plans so she has the 200 MB smartphone plan and I have the unlimited smartphone plan. They told me they can't switch the plan as it is no longer supported. But If I were to switch sim cards with her, other than changing phone numbers, would this solve our problems? I assume so as I know many of you have switched from iphones just by moving the sim card.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

You can just switch the Sims and it should work. They may tell you that it doesn't work properly without the correct ime number but that's BS, my phone worked fine when I switches the sim from my iPhone 3g, my problem started when I did the right thing and told them I switched phones.

3. tardman91

tardman91 Well-Known Member

Gotta love T-Mobile! Still unlimited. I thought about jumping over to AT&T for an iPhone 4, but when they killed unlimited data it killed any hopes of me ever going to AT&T. I'm so happy I stuck with T-Mobile and got my Nexus One. Especially now that I can take advantage of free tethering!

4. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

+1 on this.

Luckily, my wife is grandfathered in on the unlimited data. If they ever force her on the 20GB one, then we'll unlock her iPhone 4 and switch to T-Mobile. :D

5. talksinmaths

talksinmaths Active Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah I wish I could switch to Tmobile. But I am still on a family plan, so I guess I should just be happy I don't have to pay for it.

MostlyHarmless, what sort of problems did you end up getting out of curiousity?

And lastly, my sister won't care about the data plan, but will care about her phone number switching, is there any way around this that you know of? Like swapping sim cards and then changing our numbers? I don't know.

6. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

I can't pin point it directly on the switch, but it was around this time when my MMS stop working (if you search my name you will see a few threads that I posted regarding the MMS issue I am still having). To this day I still can't get MMS sent to my phone, they just don't show up. It worked when they thought I had my iPhone and now it doesn't.....

7. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member

If they are forcing you to switch plans, then you should be able to break the contract with them without paying. Obviously this doesn't work if the rest of your family doesn't want to switch plans though... Ouch! I am glad I am still on my unlimited plan.