[AT&T] Delete or turn OFF Android Phone app? Don't need it I use G.Voice

Last Updated:

1. supak111

supak111 Member

I use talkatone/google.voice for all my sms and calls which connects through 4g/LTE. I have a data only android plan so the phone app is useless but for 911 calls. Is there any way to delete the phone app that comes on android?? Or at least turn it off?

I want to do this because the app itself keeps connecting to ATT constantly to check for calls and sms, thats just a waste of my battery.... I know on jailbroken iPhones I was able to turn off telephony in one of the root settings, is there anything similar here?

I've noticed that I can NOT disable the phone app in app manager :-(. If I figure this out, I am pretty sure my battery would last much longer.

Thanks guys.

ps. its a rooted custom rom htc one m7

Advertisement
  2. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Welcome to Android Forums.

If you tell us who your carrier is we will move this thread to the appropriate all things root sub-forum of the HTC One forum.

... Thom
    scotty85 likes this.
  3. supak111

supak111 Member

4. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member

Your phone is always talking to the network. Otherwise, how would it know what towers you can and can't use? Deleting the app probably would only stop you from knowing what and when you received things.

I think you would need a custom rom or radio to do what you want.

Edit: Did some research. Looks like quite a few apps have dependencies on other system apps. Removing the phone app doesn't seem possible without modding the app or framework.
  5. supak111

supak111 Member

Update, I used app master to uninstall the "phone app" after the HTC One doesn't even connect to LTE at all. I guess android uses the phone app to connect the actual phone to the carrier and not just for voice/sms. Doesn't look like I'll be removing it. I wish there was a way to disable the app and see what happens
    scotty85 likes this.
  6. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

Older versions of Android woud outright break if you uninstalled the Phone app on the phones.
    bones420la and scotty85 like this.
  7. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

you can set google voice to always use GV,wich would stop the pop up. what part of the phone app or this process are you finding objectionable?