• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Did I just brick my new LG G2 ?

If you truly have 9006, you should see all the partitions show up as "drives" in Windows. Are you seeing that? If so, and if you could maintain a connection, then yes you should be able to fix with Linux and the dd utility and you would not need to short the capacitors. Using a VM can be hit and miss on maintaining a solid connection. Typically using a Linux live disc has worked better for those who have been unable to get it done inside a VM. Also, the Windows SRK tool has worked for many people. It can be found at xda.

Upvote 0
Yes I can see a number of drives in Windows. Initially I tried using Vitual box but it didn't detect my phone. Then I used a USB to boot [I guess this is same as using the Live disc] but it also did not detect my phone :( then I stumbled upon vmware which finally detected my phone and using gdisk -l /dev/sdb gave the list of 36 partitions but as I told earlier the connection was not solid it kept on disconnecting.

Please tell me more about the SRK tool ?? Do you have any links for where I can read about it for my particular case? Really appreciate your help ....I will try in xda as suggested by you. This is my last ray of hope :(

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link....I am downloading the srk tool now will try it tonight at home....let's see how it goes....

Hi,

I tried using the SRK tool and guess what it got me into Download mode :):):) ....thanks alot man for all your help....

But I am scared like hell to continue anything with the phone....could you please let me know what should I do next...?? I wipe all the dalvik cache, data, and cache....how to bring back my G2 to life again ?? please help....I am waiting for your reply till then download mode it is :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I tried using the SRK tool and guess what it got me into Download mode :):):) ....thanks alot man for all your help....

But I am scared like hell to continue anything with the phone....could you please let me know what should I do next...?? I wipe all the dalvik cache, data, and cache....how to bring back my G2 to life again ?? please help....I am waiting for your reply till then download mode it is :)

Hi,

I took the liberty to wipe the data, System, Dalvik Cache, and cache and tried to restart the phone but now it is showing "No OS installed" :(. I tried to flash the stock "India Open 16G D80220B_00.kdz" file into it using LG Flash tool but it is giving me and error in between. Please tell me what to do next ?? Do I have to download a custom ROM? If yes could you please let me know the link or tutorial for the same. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

I took the liberty to wipe the data, System, Dalvik Cache, and cache and tried to restart the phone but now it is showing "No OS installed" :(. I tried to flash the stock "India Open 16G D80220B_00.kdz" file into it using LG Flash tool but it is giving me and error in between. Please tell me what to do next ?? Do I have to download a custom ROM? If yes could you please let me know the link or tutorial for the same. Thanks

Hi,

Please anyone help me. The SRK tool made it up to the Download mode but for some strange reasons I am getting "LGE CDMA USB Serial Port (COM3)" in the Device Manager. Also I read and found that I have to use ADB sideload to copy custom ROM to my phone and from where I can flash that custom ROM but adb devices is not recognizing my phone. Please help me :(

Upvote 0
You need the LG United Drivers. Then flash a kdz or tot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Hi, I tried flashing stock ROM for D802 16GB .kdz file using the LG Flash tool, but it gave me an error at 15%. I have no idea about TOT files and how to use them. Please help me with the CDMA problem that I mentioned. I am not sure whether my phone is now CDMA or GSM :(.

When the ubuntu method of pushing the 5 .img files didn't work I pushed all the files including the modem.img. But in the SRK tool this file is not pushed. Can this be the cause of the problem, and can it be rectified ?? Please help me. I have read your link above and tried it but it is not working.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, I tried flashing stock ROM for D802 16GB .kdz file using the LG Flash tool, but it gave me an error at 15%. I have no idea about TOT files and how to use them. Please help me with the CDMA problem that I mentioned. I am not sure whether my phone is now CDMA or GSM :(.

When the ubuntu method of pushing the 5 .img files didn't work I pushed all the files including the modem.img. But in the SRK tool this file is not pushed. Can this be the cause of the problem, and can it be rectified ?? Please help me. I have read your link above and tried it but it is not working.

Thanks

Also, The SRK tool method instructed to connect the phone in Download mode after pushing the files using the tool, but it is coming in twrp recovery screen. So I guess the link above will not work. Using ADB to copy .zip file onto the phone seems a viable option. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
Can I
Also, The SRK tool method instructed to connect the phone in Download mode after pushing the files using the tool, but it is coming in twrp recovery screen. So I guess the link above will not work. Using ADB to copy .zip file onto the phone seems a viable option. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can I flash stock ROM using twrp ?? I mean will it give me an error? Also, I read on the net that .zip file is needed to install from the twrp recovery ....Where can I find .zip ROMS for my LG G2 D802?? Any link would be most helpful....Thanks

Upvote 0
Perhaps you should remove the rear cover from your phone and verify that the internal hardware matches the expected D802. Typically the 16 GB ones are legit but things are acting a little odd here. There's nothing to understand about a tot. Either LG Flash Tools will flash it or it won't. Typically if they don't flash, you'll get some error messages letting you know why. I'm not sure why it's reading CDMA phone which is why I'm recommending rear cover removal and inspection. Take a pic of the internals once you get the cover off and post it here.

You may have to try some different tots/kdz's.

Upvote 0
Hmm may be....One more thing to be noted...I installed LGUnited Mobile Drivers today on my office computer and then plugged in my phone it is showing "LGE Mobile USB Serial Port (3)". No CDMA here. So I guess that shouldn't be the issue. I will try anyway to open the cover after some youtube research as to how to open the back cover.

Though I have one more mind boggling question. I saw that when flashing through the twrp one has to use a flashable .zip file which is way smaller in size as compared to the kdz file. Are you aware what is the reason. Actually I wiped all my data [Cache, Dalvik Cache, System, Data] and when I reboot then it is saying No OS is installed. So I am not sure what to do next. The kdz method itself is not working on my phone. So the only way out of it is flashing the .zip file [which I could not find for stock D802]. Also, adb devices is not detecting my phone tried everything so I have bought an OTG cable and will try flashing through it when I get the flashable .zip file.

Could you please help me on this as to where can I find the .zip flashable and whether it will work after I have wiped everyting.

BTW I have promised myself that I will not tinker anymore with the device if at all it comes to life. So you can be rest assured that I will not trouble you with my stupid questions and problems :) Really appreciate your help. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
LGE Android Serial Port is correct for download mode. If flashing a tot, you would need to change the com port from com3 to com41 as per the instructs on the back to stock thread but yes, that sounds better.

There is no flashable zip unless you are rooted with a working custom recovery such as TWRP. So it would be best to keep trying with the tot or kdz method in the short term.

Upvote 0
Oki actually I came to know that by using SRK tools there is no Download mode....the tutorial ends by saying that plug the phone in Download mode option but infact it gives the twrp screen so I think it is the recovery mode only.

:( so does this means that I cannot use .zip flashable file ???? I have already downloaded the cm-11 snapshot. I am not getting any luck with the kdz method and also I have no idea how to go for the tot method :( Any pointers ??

Upvote 0
If all you have is TWRP, then yes, you could use adb push to move a rom onto the sdcard and flash that.

But above, you said you had download mode so I'm confused as to where you're at here. For download mode long press power for 15 seconds, then release. After that press and hold volume up while at the same time plugging into the PC.

Upvote 0
If all you have is TWRP, then yes, you could use adb push to move a rom onto the sdcard and flash that.

But above, you said you had download mode so I'm confused as to where you're at here. For download mode long press power for 15 seconds, then release. After that press and hold volume up while at the same time plugging into the PC.

Sorry actually the video tutorial of the SRK tool instructed to plug the phone in download mode so I told the same. I am stuck on twrp recovery screen. I will post an image next. You said I could use adb to push rom onto the sdcard. My question is that that file will be the .zip file. But earlier you told that I cannot use .zip. Actually as adb devices is not showing my device I am thinking to flash the .zip file using the OTG cable and pendrive.

SO my main concern is that wether I can flash the .zip? I am inclined towards the .zip file because I cannot find the actual TOT files for my device. I am placing the tot method in the last of my list of tests to be done.
Please let me know whether I was clear with my problem :(

Thanks for the help.....

Upvote 0
You said I could use adb to push rom onto the sdcard. My question is that that file will be the .zip file. But earlier you told that I cannot use .zip.

Please read again what I said...

There is no flashable zip unless you are rooted with a working custom recovery such as TWRP. So it would be best to keep trying with the tot or kdz method in the short term.

I underlined the qualifying portion of the sentence. You can flash a "zip" so long as it's a custom rom. You can NOT go find a random firmware which happens to be zipped and flash that in TWRP. It must be a custom rom which was specifically made to be flashed via custom recovery. And the trick with this phone is knowing what you have on your phone at this time for an OS. Because there have been multiple iterations of root and recovery. And that matters. You can have bootloader and modem incompatibility issues when bouncing between Kitkat and Lollipop for example. This is why my preference, if you had download mode, would have been to reset everything back to factory and start over. Then you know where you stand see?

But yes, if all else fails, adb push a custom rom from XDA which matches your phone model and to the best of your knowledge, your current version of Android OS.

Upvote 0
I am trying this link first ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2666967

the main problem is I am downloading a fresh .kdz file as the earlier one didn't complete the extraction process. Also, I am downloading the 80230b instead of 80220b. Is there some difference between them ?

I believe 20b is kk, 30b is lollipop I think. Shouldn't matter when flashing stock firmware which one you use.

Upvote 0
Before the all bootloop and secure boot error I was using the Rooted Android 4.4.2. So I have to download another 220b then. Do you have any mirrors or links ?? I am using this one "India Open 16G D80220B_00.kdz" from http://storagecow.eu/index.php?dir=Xda/LG+G2/Stock/India+D802/ but the 220b on this didn't worked. I have download a custom ROM "cm-12-20150625-SNAPSHOT-YNG4NAO09M-d802.zip". I tried finding what is cm-12 but couldn't successfully. Man this is very much confusing :(

Could you please let me know where can I find a custom ROM? Sorry, I am being extra careful before doing anything because it took me 7 days just to bring my phone to twrp.

Upvote 0
Here are various custom roms for the D802:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g2/development-d802

CM11 is KitKat.
CM12 is Lollipop.

Thanks. I will download the cm-11 then. BTW could this SNAPSHOT work ?? Also you raised an amazing point that what is currently on my device. :) ....I was just wondering I have pushed all the files using the SRK tool (aboot, boot, rpm, etc....), and I have no idea what version of android these files are compatible with :(.

Thanks for the link....Let me check it for some 4.4.2 custom....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones