[AT&T] Experts, Please help with rooting Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4

Last Updated:

1. rebel2401

rebel2401 Member

Hi there, I am a pretty tech savy guy, I dont know why I am having so much trouble rooting my galaxy S4,

I have tried 2 methods so far, and followed the instructions carefully, I dont know why its not.
    The first method are the instructions in this video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLHt_HCWwr0

The second method is using Kingo, the error I got there is:
    It said "Root Failed! Flash Failed"

any ideas why its doing this or more importantly, how to fix it? It's a pretty fresh phone so I can't imagine I could have done much to cause it difficulty.

Here is a pic of the error I'm getting
    [​IMG]
    picture share

I appreciate your help really need to root it as soon as possible
    Thank you

Advertisement
  2. mana0216

mana0216 New Member

i am having the same problem, tried 4 different ways all failed
  3. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Well-Known Member

4.4.2 isn't rootable yet. I'm sure in time it will be though.
    kevp75 likes this.
  4. rebel2401

rebel2401 Member

I do believe it is rootable.. thats what all the guides I followed said
  5. g0lden

g0lden Well-Known Member

At this time, the only way to root on 4.4 is to downgrade to mk2 and flash a rooted 4.4 rom with safestrap. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2680868
    kevp75 likes this.
  6. rebel2401

rebel2401 Member

7. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Well-Known Member

Because it's YouTube. People put up fake stuff like that all the time. Especially if they can lead you away from YouTube with a download link for their software.
    g0lden likes this.
  8. OrKo

OrKo Well-Known Member

The G2's 4.4.2 update just got root, I'm sure you guys aren't far behind.

By the way my fiance has one of these, I'll be around..
  9. mrao

mrao Well-Known Member

There is no root yet for the AT&T S4 on 4.4.2. There is a way though to flash Safestrap recovery, and get a custom rom on, though supported roms are limited. Like @windsorclarenc said, it should be rootable soon.. I feel it will be rootable the day the 4.4.2 bootloader is cracked..
    kevp75 likes this.
  10. rebel2401

rebel2401 Member

Any word if 4.4.2 has been rooted yet?
  11. kevp75

kevp75 Member

no. and now that the nc1 update is out I doubt there will be.

Developers arw concentrating more on roms flashable thru the work arounds... which wirk great btw...
  12. rebel2401

rebel2401 Member

well can you tell me how to do this?
  13. kevp75

kevp75 Member

bill.g likes this.
  14. HugoR

HugoR Active Member

so how can I flash kitkat on my rooted mk2?
  15. kevp75

kevp75 Member

Look above
  16. jerryag

jerryag Well-Known Member

Is there anyone actively working on a root method for this phone?
  17. kevp75

kevp75 Member

No.
    #1 the bootloader is locked
    #2 there are workaround methods that work extremely well, so devs are concentrating more on roms
  18. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add my 2 cents - that video above is for the International version and not AT&T.

I was looking to upgrade to the GS5 but they never came out with a 32GB version, so I got tired of waiting and decided to do the workaround with my GS4 and it so far works great. I was on the NB1 firmware and I had to downgrade to MK2 to root and flash a custom ROM with the safestrap recovery. There are some decent ROMs out there and like kevp75 said, it works really well. It takes a bit of patience and following instructions, but this gave my GS4 a new lease on life and I probably will hold off until the GS6.
  19. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

And as of 6/15, the GS5 and GS4 Active running 4.4.2 have been rooted by geohot over at XDA. I haven't heard about the regular GS4. But I believe the GN3 is also invited. It doesn't trip the Knox detector either.
  20. g0lden

g0lden Well-Known Member

It works on the regular S4, but only on NC1.
  21. Can0dope

Can0dope Well-Known Member

Can we get a link? I need to root this beast ASAP. I just got the phone and already had to update around 20 apps. That's a lot of bloat!

Edit: I found a root method on xda by geohot. Easiest root ever. Now to find a recovery that works...
  22. Marc_G

Marc_G Well-Known Member

Could you please post the link to the one you are using (root thread at xda)... I want to make sure to use the right one. Thanks
  23. mrao

mrao Well-Known Member

Towelroot won't unlock the boot loader. So no custom ROMs for the ATT or VZW devices yet.. I'm not sure if safestrap works.. You might want to check it out