[AT&T] Got wet...now speaker doesn't work

Last Updated:

1. notrosh

notrosh New Member

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance for the help. The title pretty much says it all. The phone got a little wet....not fully submerged. Everything works on the phone fine but there is no sound...no pandora, no call sound, no beeps, etc.....

when i was putting the battery back in after the phone was wet....i could hear the speaker "gargling" or basically making scratchy noises...since then nothing.

I have insurance on the phone so all is not lost. However, I don't feel like burning an insurance claim if I can replace the speaker.

My question is: What do I need to replace? The speaker assembly or the speaker flex cable, etc?

2. spagman72

spagman72 Well-Known Member

Chances are water entered in more than just the speaker, however you should have immediately pulled the battery/memory card and sim out and tried the "bag of rice" approach.
    notrosh likes this.
  3. notrosh

notrosh New Member

Thanks for the information. I should have specified in my first post. I left the phone in a bag of rice for about two days immediately after it happened. Does anyone have an idea of what i should replace if anything or should i just burn my insurance claim?

4. alsaces daddy

alsaces daddy Well-Known Member

I just had this problem. You can burn the insurance claim if you want or take it to someone and have it worked on.

I personally like to work on my own devices so I can learn. My prevail went swimming 4 months ago and sat in rice for a week. Speaker wouldn't work. So I swapped it out for another one.

I will advise you that working on your own phone will void warranty and so will have someone other than the manufacturer. So choose wisely. ;)
    notrosh likes this.
  5. notrosh

notrosh New Member

alsaces daddy,

Thanks so much for advice.

Question: When you say you "swapped it out for another one" do you mean you swapped the phone or speaker. If it was the speaker what was the outcome. I am confident in my ability to take the phone apart and put it back together.

My concern: I don't want to replace the speaker assembly and it not work after that. Then replace another part and another and another.....etc. Going down that route I will end up replacing every part in the phone.....

My only hope that it is the entire phone and all functionality works perfectly...except the sound. It looks like there are two speakers. one on the back and head set speaker.

Thanks for everyone's help...

6. alsaces daddy

alsaces daddy Well-Known Member

When you are saying your speaker doesn't work..Which speaker do you mean or do you mean both?

I replaced my speaker and the digitizer because it was scratched.

If neither speaker works then you should just save all your important files to your SD and turn it in for an insurance claim as there is probably something a little more wrong.