AT&T HotSpot and attwifi related questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. android4rumuser

android4rumuser Member This Topic's Starter

All, I apologize if similar question has been asked earlier.

There is an application in Captivate called "AT&T Hot Spots". What is this application and how does it work?

I read about AT&T Wi-Fi, a free Wi-Fi access from AT&T at various locations in US. I read that it is free for iPhone users and some BB users. I am not sure if it is free for us Captivate users. How do one find out.

Thanks for your time in replying to this post. I appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I tried it. It's pretty useless. Just remember that many McDonalds' and Barnes & Noble stores will have AT&T hotspots in them (although for B&N you'll need to install Dolphin and fake your User Agent to iPhone to "log on". Ironically, the portal won't work on the Captivate's native web browser, even though it's an AT&T hotspot and an AT&T phone).

3. timbuk2

timbuk2 Well-Known Member

Can anyone elaborate on this? I've been discussing this in various forums and nobody seems to understand why I can't access AT&T Hotspots on my Captivate... not even AT&T. How would you log in as an iPhone user?

4. lordfly911

lordfly911 Well-Known Member

There are more ATT wifi spots down here than cops. Which actually is true. Anyway, whether I go to McDonalds, Ruby Tuesdays, Walmart and many other establishments I am constantly reminded by that stupid application that there is an AT&T wifi hotspot.

So yes, it should work. However, I would suggest going into your wifi settings once you are in range and make sure you are actually connected. You will have to tell it to remember the connection. After that you should be good.

Now my question is about the app, is it needed really to connect to an AT&T hotspot or can it be removed from my phone. Again the pop ups are so annoying.

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

By using Dolphin and changing the user agent, like I said. I mention this in my post above.