• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AT&T HTC One M8 Hotspot

Mishumashu

Lurker
Dec 26, 2014
Hi all,

I recently bought the AT&T Unlocked HTC One M8 during a trip to the US.
I am using it with a different provider.
With my provider there is no need for a special data plan for tethering but the tethering is still blocked on my phone by AT&T!

I've been trying for weeks now to find a way to contact them without success.
I am not looking to do anything illegal\root\use a custom ROM, I just want to use my phones abilities!

Does anyone have any idea how I can cancel the AT&T block without using a custom ROM? I dont want to pay for S-off and would prefer not to root my device as rooting causes issues with my work's emails..

Thanks in advance!

I don't know of a way to do that.

If you can unlock your phone using HTCdev.com (free) you could try installing a stock (international) rooted rom after installing a custom recovery like TWRP, unroot it, restore the stock recovery and relock the bootloader.

You'll want to use Helium Backup before you proceed if you decide to try that because unlocking the bootloader will erase your apps and data.

Upvote 0
Won't I need to S-off for that?
I already tried flashing one of the stock ROMs from HTCDEV without success, I guess because I am currently with S-on..
The stock roms at HTCdev.com are there as developer aides last I checked - that's HTC's site to help you get your bootloader unlocked.

Everything that you need to sort out is in the /system partition, no need for s-off for that.

But you do need to have your bootloader unlocked.

Upvote 0
thank you very much - amazing forum !

I live in Israel and my carrier is Cellcom (not sure if you are familiar with it).
Are there any specific details I can get from them that you need?
I'm going to be on the road for the next several hours and can help more later today. Meanwhile, I think that you'll need to be sure that you have your APN / carrier settings written down (no need to post them here).

You will need to get set up with the tools you need from here -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

You will need to enable usb debugging mode -

http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-to/unlock-hidden-developer-options-your-htc-one-m8-0154418/

And then test that by opening a command window to c:\sdk-tools and saying -

adb devices

If successful, look for the HTC M8 to appear in the list of devices. If not, it'll likely be a driver problem and I imagine that a number of people can help until I return.

And of course, we have a lot of others here that can see where I'm going with all this and you can trust them if they come in before I'm back.

One of the early steps will reset your phone to a like-new condition so another thing that you want to do before starting is to make a backup - I recommend Helium Backup from the Play Store.

Upvote 0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/development

Personally, I use the ViperOneM8 rom and my Exchange ActiveSync sees my phone as stock - it's a stock rom with some additions for themes and settings. The installer lets you choose which carrier / version you need.

Make a nandroid backup (with the default of the boot, system, and data partitions) before doing anything - that's a snapshot of your existing rom and setup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones