• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T iphone user to make jump to android

fleeper

Lurker
May 31, 2010
I am on AT&T and my 3gs has bit the big one. I have been having issues with it for the last several months and wanted to replace it with an android phone.

I know the backflip is the only android phone available at the moment, but is there any other phone from another carrier that can be used on AT&T.

I also have a google voice number and I feel like I am missing out with my iphone and that I cannot use my GV number to it's fullest potential.

Thanks.

I am on AT&T and my 3gs has bit the big one. I have been having issues with it for the last several months and wanted to replace it with an android phone.

I know the backflip is the only android phone available at the moment, but is there any other phone from another carrier that can be used on AT&T.

I also have a google voice number and I feel like I am missing out with my iphone and that I cannot use my GV number to it's fullest potential.

Thanks.

NEXUS-1 all the way.

Upvote 0
If you can't jump to Sprint or Verizon, then the N1 is the way to go.

If you can, I'd say you should maybe try to hold out just a little bit longer. If I remember right, the Samsung i897 is making its way to the AT&T and it looks to be a formidable android phone!

LEAK: Samsung i897 May Be AT&T's First Great Android Phone

The phone itself looks interesting, but...

Unskinned Android 2.1 (hopefully no skin means it'll be quickly updated)

That's just funny. Whoever wrote this obviously has no experience with Samsung smartphones. As long as the phone works out of the box, I would not expect a single software update, ever.

Upvote 0
Whoever wrote this obviously has no experience with Samsung smartphones. As long as the phone works out of the box, I would not expect a single software update, ever.

I dont think you're reading it correctly... If it's unskinned, that means the phone WILL receive android updates, because it will be along the same lines as the N1 or the Moto Droid. It will have the stock, vanilla Android on it, without the Samsung skin on it, which means it will NOT have to wait for Samsung to send out an update. It will be able to receive its update directly from Google.

Upvote 0
I dont think you're reading it correctly... If it's unskinned, that means the phone WILL receive android updates, because it will be along the same lines as the N1 or the Moto Droid. It will have the stock, vanilla Android on it, without the Samsung skin on it, which means it will NOT have to wait for Samsung to send out an update. It will be able to receive its update directly from Google.

The Motorola Droid doesn't receive updates directly from Google, but it is vanilla Android.

If you are suggesting this is a carrier issue as opposed to a manufacturer issue, then I would not expect much better from AT&T who currently doesn't have any Android 2.0+ handsets in their stores.

Upvote 0

Uh lol, no.

"Unskinned Android" doesn't mean jack unless your phone's a Nexus One or some future phone Google sells/supports directly. Sorry. Oh, and Samsung software support for any of their devices is shit. Updates? Hahahahahahahahaha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones