AT&T is killing our batteries?

Last Updated:

1. tekonus

tekonus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So... I've had my phone since the 18th, and I have been reluctant to use a "task manager" app other than the stock one built into Android. When I did I noticed AT&T Navigator... which I have never ever used, was running. I killed it, and a few minutes later its back on the list. This has been happening all day. I tried a different task killer and same deal. The stock Android task manager doesn't show it. I'm confused, but if it really is running all the time... isn't this killing our batteries faster than necessary? Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

Advertisement
  2. Residue26

Residue26 Member

I have noticed that too. I have never even opened ATT nav but whenever I receive a text it launches for some reason.

3. acp

acp Well-Known Member

My Sprint Evo did the same thing, so its not just ATT

4. br0adstbully

br0adstbully New Member

yes the question is can we stop that or somehow remove it... without rooting. Also a general question which I'm sure I know the answer to, I downloaded ebuddy for messaging and I noticed it not only hurts the battery... it KILLS it... I went from 90% to 40% in a matter of 2 hours just leaving it on in the background... anybody know of a better IM program or do they all pretty much kill your battery if you leave them on in the background?

5. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

at&t isnt draining your battery.

the navigator simply shows up because its caching memory for faster use. a lot of android programs does it such as fring.

your battery drainage is coming from somewhere else. if you are using live wallpaper that kills your battery

6. tekonus

tekonus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, it is being cached in memory... and never used. I don't want it to do that, obviously...

7. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

root and get rid of all the ATT crap...

8. djgibbsjr

djgibbsjr Active Member

First thing first, you really need to understand how android systems work. It is NOT killing your battery or taking up needed memory. Android is a neat system if you look at it in a tech point of view. It will cache certain apps when memory IS available for faster load, true. But only if the memory is available. This will NOT slow down operation of the phone. The system will automatically kill apps in the cache memory if needed to run optimally. The slow down or battery loss is usually caused by an app with a possible memory leak. This is trial and error. I usually install 1 app and see after a few days how my phone is before adding another. Widgets can be a big battery drain as well as most live wallpapers. So aside from focusing on something that seems rather annoying you must keep looking to find the real problem.

Ps: I don't believe in use of the task killer at all, it is why it doesn't come stock with the phone.

9. mwxiao

mwxiao Member

I don't care about the tech point of view. I just learn from my own experience that I get much much better battery life when I kill those tasks, especially AT&T processes. Believe me, I've tested a lot of times. Task killer helps. Android's own way? Sucks.

10. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Interesting read about NOT using task killer. After I read this I uninstalled.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn

11. MeVirtually

MeVirtually Active Member

After trying a couple different Task Managers from the Market, going back to some, and ultimately being tired of seeing ads and constantly "killing" apps, I decided to do some research into the matter. I recalled one app showing the CPU used by each app as 0%, and small amounts of memory being used, and realized that what people were saying made sense. No battery was being used by the apps, and free memory is wasted memory. If it's sitting there, and I have it, it better be earning its keep by storing something in it for a faster load if I load the app later. And I check the system's manage applications setting, to see what's what once or twice a day, but my battery life has not changed at all since getting rid of task managers. So, you may not want the technical side of it, and you may want to keep right on thinking what you're thinking, but AT&T's apps aren't causing me any troubles by being on my phone, in the app drawer with all the other apps that I have.

12. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

True... You can check your battery status and see what apps/services are draining your battery. I bet it wont even show on the list if you aren't using the app.