• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T kills unlimited data

Verizon recently changed there data plan towards the end of last year. I believe they had a 15 dollar data plan and a 25 dollar data plan. Now it's a 30 and a 45 dollar plan. I think they will be fine with the current pricing. I think they will look at the stats from the huge spike in new smartphone sales and come to realize that the average usage in their unlimited GB plans (which really is 5GB) is averaging about 2-3GB. If people are going well over the 5GB mark then they may find themselves in a interesting spot but if their mark per each person is 5GB it will average itself out. My philosophy, take it for what it's worth. (Not much! LOL)

Upvote 0
I would welcome a reasonably priced tiered system, but they need to make it automatic instead of having to guess how much you'll need each month. They could just charge a set amount for different ranges of data use: 0-1G = x$ 2-3G=x$, etc. That way you wouldn't have to worry about paying exorbitant overage charges or about monitoring and changing your plan monthly. Do it in chunks of 2G or 5G or whatever, just don't make me have to deal with it on a monthly basis.
+1 I don't see anything horrific about those plans because I typically use between 1-2 gigs a month. If they made it automatic as you suggested I might actually turn on the wifi occasionally to save a few bucks here and there...would be a win-win for everyone, less stress on the network and a couple bucks in my pocket if I'm dilligent. for now I'll simply cling to my smartchoice plan until they pry the incredible out of my carpel tunneled hands ;)

this would also make blackberries a little more attractive as well, since most of the stuff is compressed on rim's servers, heavy usage for me on the storm is half a gig, I don't think I ever got over 1 gig, the incredible is twice that on a light month.

Upvote 0
this would also make blackberries a little more attractive as well, since most of the stuff is compressed on rim's servers, heavy usage for me on the storm is half a gig, I don't think I ever got over 1 gig, the incredible is twice that on a light month.

I read that article on Boy Genius Report too about RIM rejoicing in this news. Having been a solid BB user for years before switching to the Droid based phones, I'd never go back. BB's are SO slow compared to the Droid phones. Browsing, and usage. They are good for their intended purpose, secure mail transmission.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones