• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T - model of inefficiency and bad customer service

Egidio

May 31, 2011
Austin, TX
Well, it's no surprise to me now that AT&T is at the bottom of customer satisfaction when it comes to mobile carriers. Can there be a more inefficient way to upgrade the Infuse to GB than this comedy of errors AT&T created? The whole upgrade process could have been easier if it had been made available OTA, as Sprint did with the same update. Now everyone is struggling to update in a process that is at best convoluted and disorganized. Here's my horror story... so far.

No Mini Kies for Mac.
Mini Kies only works on 32-bit Windows.
I went to an AT&T store and the rep there says they could not help. Really??!!??
Unregistered device error! My phone was registered on the Samsung site in May 2011.
Three live chats with Samsung and no solution.
Two phone calls to Samsung customer support.
Still waiting for phone to show as "registered" on Mini Kies.

What's next?

I'll tell you what. I'm tweeting to the world how bad AT&T is with this process.
I'll wait for my 2-year contract to finish and will move on. No more AT&T stupidity with an update that could have been OTA -- if they cared about their customers.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

ok um FACT kies mini works on 64 biT "KIES" is not supported in the u.s.a <<<<<<notice the difference kies mini does!

You are right no support for mac!
now if your on uckd1 then it wont matter your screwed untill the "brains" to be figure out that they screwed up!

if you have a windows op sys like 98% of people have out there then go get odins gtg unbrick and revert it back to uckd5 and WHAM you got it made!

However every single thing you have said other than keies mini is gospel !! and i agree

Upvote 0
It is quite a convoluted process indeed. I remember scratching my head and wondering why I had to use such an idiotic piece of software like Kies (mini) to update my Captivate to GB (Maybe if they lift the language restrictions, I can tell you what I really think of Kies. ;) ).

I'm curious as to why you are laying this solely at AT&T's feet? Mind you I have no love for them, but it seems that at least half of what is frustrating you is coming from Samsung. Not that it makes it any better, just saying.

Upvote 0
Vent. I'm with you.

You've been through it, for sure, and I'm trying to avoid it. I briefly chatted with Samsung yesterday. The 64-bit Windows response is all I got. I will not call them again, or go down this path with AT&T. From past experience related to updating the phone I will not jump through anymore hoops.

Upvote 0
A familiar refrain, Egidio. ;)

Let's hear from other AT&T customers here in the AT&T forum (moved the thread from the device area for you.. let me know if that's ok; it can be put it back there if you feel strongly about wanting it in the Infuse 4G forum :)).

I'm comfortable either way. Though the post was about a carrier, it was specific to the problem for the Infuse. Perhaps other phones are similar in regards to this problem. I just needed to vent. :)

The worst part is that I have yet to be able to update my Infuse. I'm waiting for it to show up in the Kies Mini as "registered", which could take up to 48 hours. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Upvote 0
It's been over 24 hours since I registered, still getting unregistered. And I can't help feeling we THINK that's what we're waiting on, but it's really something else that's the problem. Hope I'm wrong. In the meantime, I'm not doing anything to the phone.

I agree with you 100%. After 3 live chats and 2 phone calls, every time a new rep would suggest something else. Samsung doesn't know what the deal is, and AT&T does not care!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones