AT&T Nexus One - how to activate?Support

Last Updated:

1. droiddecar

droiddecar Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just ordered an unlocked Google Nexus One for use on AT&T in the USA. How do I get started using it and activate it? I was on Verizon, so I don't have any SIM card to move to the Nexus One. Do I go to an AT&T store or Best Buy and just buy a SIM card and activate AT&T (non-contract) service? I've been on Verizon for so long that I don't know how things work with a SIM card. There also isn't much info on the Google Nexus One website about using AT&T. Seems like it's more tailored to T-Mobile.

I would like to be able use the N1 as soon as possible after it arrives tomorrow!

Advertisement
  2. martinl1030

martinl1030 Member

sounds like to me you need to go and get a phone plan with att first. when they give you your att phone you can just take the sim card out of the back of it (usually located behind the battery) and just pop it into your nexus one. unlike verizion where account info is all stored on the phone there's no need for activation for att because your sim card contains all your account info.

3. droiddecar

Yes but one of benefits of going with the unlocked Nexus One is to not be under any plan or contract. I would think if I got a another phone from them just for the SIM card, it would require some kind of 1 or 2 year contract. Does anyone if I can just order month-to-month service with them and buy a standalone SIM card? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

4. martinl1030

martinl1030 Member

the benefits of an unlocked phone is so youre not limited to the phone selection provided by the carrier. There really is no way you can just get a sim card without any contract commitments but im not sure about prepaid sims. there's really no reason to use a nexus with prepaid service anyways

5. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

With atmosphere yo can can go into a store and just get a sim card activated with a no-contract plan. You should be able to go to art and activate a similar card, as with contract, it should be similar. Doesn't hurt to call art or try and ho to a store.

6. Who Cares?

Who Cares? Well-Known Member

With T-Mobile you can can go into a store and just get a sim card activated with a no-contract plan. You should be able to go to art and activate a similar card, as with contract, it should be similar. Doesn't hurt to call art or try and ho to a store.

7. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member

walk into a store with your phone or your phone box because they will need to scan your imei number of phone for your account. Ask for a no contract plan and they will set you up and give you a sim.

No need to signup for 2 year contract that is crazy! You bought your phone non subsidized for a reason.

droiddecar likes this.
  8. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

att is a gsm network, which is different than verizon. gsm uses sim cards, so you dont "activate" phones on a gsm network. you need a working sim card, and once you have a sim card, you can put it into any gsm phone you wish and that becomes your working phone. so you need a sim card, and pop it into your nexus one. done.

droiddecar likes this.
  9. droiddecar

Thanks for the replies...that cleared things up. Looking forward to getting my phone tomorrow and heading to the AT&T store to get the sim. I'll try to do a follow-up post once I am up and running.

10. droiddecar

So I went to the AT&T Store and it was exactly like jazzman09 said it would be. I just created a new account, got a SIM card and set up a month-to-month plan. The only thing I had to pay for was a $36 activation fee. All very simple. I have started to use the phone and I've been surprised to find some significant issues with things not working as they should (call volume too low, auto-brightness completely broken and wifi dropping) . I'll address those in separate posts. Thanks again for the point in the right direction.

11. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member

good stuff, glad it worked for you. As for the device problems, I ended up returning mine for the call quality or speaker low volume on calls.