• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T pushing updates to enable sideloading on older phones

I have it on very good authority that the Captivate with 2.2 is going to be one of three AT&T devices that will be receiving a transparent update beginning today to allow third party applcations like the Amazon App store. Problem is there may be no way on the Captivate to tell the update was pushed without trying to download something. The other two devices, both HTC's; the Inspire and Aria will have the "Allow Unknown Sources" checkbox, with the Atrix update coming soon. All devices released after yesterday will have the option. Apparently if you do not recieve the update by the 23rd you can call customer care and request it

Upvote 0
Well ain't that fancy? Thanks for the clarification.

But how will we know when whatever needed to be installed was successfully installed? Will the 'Allow Unknown Apps' box appear in the applications settings?

i was reading what someone said on androidcentral.com and i dont think so. the only way to really tell on the captivate is to try and install a non market app. the atrix and inspire are supposed to be getting the check box. also said if you dont have it by the 23rd you may have to call customer support and get them to enable it. i dont know if he knew what he was talking about but im going with it

Upvote 0
i was reading what someone said on androidcentral.com and i dont think so. the only way to really tell on the captivate is to try and install a non market app. the atrix and inspire are supposed to be getting the check box. also said if you dont have it by the 23rd you may have to call customer support and get them to enable it. i dont know if he knew what he was talking about but im going with it

See my post from the 16th in this thread.... Not Atrix yet Aria, Inspire and Captivate...

Upvote 0
AT&T pushing updates to enable sideloading on older phones | Android Central

For those unrooted, un-sideload-machine, or un-droid-explorer folks.

so I had already sideloaded Amazon app store and installed the various apps. once I get the AT&Tupdate, do I have to uninstall the apps that I have sideloaded in order to get these apps updated properly or would these apps get updated via the amazon appstore like I never sideloaded before? (for example Angry Birds Rio--there is an update I haven't had a chance to sideload yet)

Upvote 0
Anyone know how they manage this "silent" OTA trick? I frankly don't care for the idea that they can push something to my phone any time, without my awareness or acceptance. In this particular case, I've already rooted and enabled sideloading manually, so I don't need the update, and I'm a bit concerned that it will fail and mess something up because the state of my phone is not what the update was written to expect. I'd rather decline it, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be an option.

Upvote 0
Anyone know how they manage this "silent" OTA trick? I frankly don't care for the idea that they can push something to my phone any time, without my awareness or acceptance. In this particular case, I've already rooted and enabled sideloading manually, so I don't need the update, and I'm a bit concerned that it will fail and mess something up because the state of my phone is not what the update was written to expect. I'd rather decline it, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be an option.

+1. I guess we're about to find out. My suspicion is that the device will reject the update without any effect..which is fine as far as i'm concerned

Upvote 0
This is just a fact of life owning ANY smartphone.

iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7, they all have this ability.

Well there must be some piece of software on the phone that enables it. Have the ROM chefs identified and disabled it? I assume it could *really* mess things up if you're running something wildly different than the carrier expects, like 2.3 on a Captivate at the present time.

Upvote 0
so I had already sideloaded Amazon app store and installed the various apps. once I get the AT&Tupdate, do I have to uninstall the apps that I have sideloaded in order to get these apps updated properly or would these apps get updated via the amazon appstore like I never sideloaded before? (for example Angry Birds Rio--there is an update I haven't had a chance to sideload yet)

I sideloaded the app store too but once I got the update I didn't have to uninstall anything. Just opened the app store and was able to download an app. Was also able to update angry birds

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones