• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] S4 Canadian Virgin Mobile - Rooting Troubles

Farseen

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
Hi All,

I've spent all day trying to figure this out. I'm a pretty tech-saavy dude too, so I've finally decided to join this forum to post for help.

Carrier
Virgin Mobile

Model Number:
SGH-1337M

Baseband Version
I337MVLUAMG1

Kernel Version
3.4.0-897376

Build Number
JDQ39.I337MVLUAMG1

I've followed numerous guides and even 'successfully' rooted my phone using Odin, however when I launch applications like 'RootCheck' and 'Titanium' they both tell me it's not rooted, even though everything went as planned.

My gut feeling, based on some research, is that the stock firmware is overwriting my rooting stuff (I don't know the terminology yet!) when it boots up.

Anyway, I really want to root this bad boy! I just switched to the S4 after 6 long years of iPhones so I'm real stoked to get it feeling the way I want.

Could someone provide me a link to some proper files? I think that's where I get lost.

I currently already have downloaded and attempted to root using this:

- Samsung USB Driver (just verifying I do have this)
- Odin v3.07
- CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses.

My model is a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Virgin Mobile (carrier).

I have put in SuperSU and it seems to open fine without giving me any errors, but looks quite empty in general.

I'm going to try that link you posted now, it seems to be specific to my device.

The guide I used can be viewed here:

Root I337MVLUAMG1 Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337M 4.2.2 Update - Androidayos

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Just tried the 'Multitool' and I get 'Failure' attached image:
280uo48.png

Upvote 0
Only thing is I'm not AT&T? Virgin Mobile? Unless they own them...lol:thinking:

I think that what Mikestony is saying, and I agree with him, is that your model of handset, SGH-1337M, is the Canadian variant of the AT&T model number SGH-1337. Samsung add an, "M" to denote their Canadian versions. It has nothing to do with carriers as such.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones